TOPPS Knives and Kelly Worden

I recently enjoyed a quiet dinner with Kelly Worden (Natural Spirit / Renegade JKD) up in Tacoma, Washington. As many of you know Kelly and I go a ways back, with Mr. Worden an important and valued contributor to Fighting Knives and Full Contact magazines. He is also my primary mentor and instructor, and I am credentialed as an H2H instructor under the Natural Spirit family.

First, several years ago Kelly taught himself how to make knives. He then began designing his own line of speciality bladeware. From there he reached out - or was reached out to - folks in the cutlery industry. Today you can find a number of Worden designs available from various custom and production sources to include Bud Nealy, Al Mar Knives, Timberline, and TOPPS.

TOPPS does a series of Worden fixed blades and I saw / handled these during my visit with Mr. Worden. The Special Forces Command is a full size fixed blade fighting knife with kydex sheath. It is specifically designed with Mr. Worden's superlative understanding of how such a knife needs to work in close quarters combat, and is further influenced by his teaching of the Army's Special Forces operators at Ft. Lewis, Washington. This program, by the way, is being adopted across the SF Community as its official H2H effort and has been personally inspected and critiqued by senior SF non-commissioned officers and commanders up to and including general officer rank.

An impressive number of SF-Command fighting knives are currently serving overseas where H2H and CQB is fully expected and has been - thanks in great part to Mr. Worden's combatives program - prepared for. Operators going in Harm's Way are choosing TOPPS' Worden line as their "silent partners" for proven / trained for reasons. The SF-Command is an awesome knife and more than reasonably priced.

I have carried a Worden "SeaWolf" since our visit that evening. This is a small, fixed blade design with kydex sheath and spring clip for attachment to either one's ankle (boot), pants belt, combat harness, body armor, and so on. The blade design is simple and 100% functional. The handle/grip is sure and designed so you can manipulate the knife very swiftly in the hand. There is a notable but discreet skull crusher feature, too. The draw stroke from the sheath is one of the fastest I've experienced. Likewise, the sheath itself is carefully constructed and well considered from a tactical carry point of view. As with most such knives, the value of the sheath all to often determines our initial purchase and/or decision to carry the knife on a basis consistent with daily use and skill development. This sheath is a winner in that respect.

I'd considered switching over from the SeaWolf to a Command but have stayed with the SeaWolf. It's grown on me and I've taken to wearing it directly behind my off-duty weapon so I have Options available, strong side, immediately. The SeaWolf conceals very nicely and is a great daily use utility knife. A fixed blade in a proper sheath system will outdraw a tactical folder any day of the week - in my experience - and is far stronger for obvious reasons. Again, the pricing of the SeaWolf is more than fair and the workmanship on this knife is indeed impressive.

Mr. Worden, in the spirit of his teachers, seeks to do his own work. By doing so he cannot be challenged as his efforts are his own, and their results are the sum of hard, uncompromising study and application. He owns his own material lock, stock, and barrel. All great teachers, artists, writers, fighters, and other such entities follow this precept. Do your own work and no one can challenge you.

TOPPS Knives have done their own work with the introduction and release of the Worden line of combat fixed blades. These are darned fine knives folks, and well built / priced to boot. Serious, real world players - many of them Kelly's students and instructors - are today carrying these blades in combat, and for all the right reasons.

I'm pleased to introduce and promote TOPPS Knives and in specific, the Worden line of combat fighters, as the first such endorsement of a cutlery designer, maker(s), and combative arts instructor in our new "Battle Blades" forum. Check these guys out. Their work is their own and it is focused, mindful of the real world, and linked to a progressive, proven fighting system meant for taking out terrorists in close quarters and under extreme circumstances.

Best of all you can afford the product line and the knives are readily available for initial purchase and/or replacement.

You can further explore both Mr. Worden's work and TOPPS by visiting their web sites.

"Nuff said.:)

I bought a blue-scaled, sterile Sea Wolf from S4-Supply and had it shipped directly to River City Sheaths for a custom sheath.

Great knife.

Mike

Greg,

Where can I see a picture of the SF-Command knife? I went to both Worden's and TOPS's web sites and couldn't find it.
Also, the link you posted to TOPS Knives doesn't seem to work. The correct one is:

TOPS Knives

Regards,

Leo

Leo,

Thanks for correct web site address for TOPS!:)

The SF Command is not shown on their web site. I'll query why that is with Kelly / TOPS. Heck of an impressive looking knife, however.

I hope we can find a picture of that knife somewhere. After your glowing review, I can't wait to see it!

Greg,

Glad you're on the TOPS bandwagon. I'm sure Kelly yold you about Mike FUller being a multiple tour, decorated SF vet in Vietnam, so his approach to blades always works back from the field needs first.

I've used TOPS blades in some pretty unforgiving enviroments and for things that I thought would detroy the blades. They sailed through everything I did and are in perfect working condition.

Datu Worden is one of the greats, I agree!

I'm sure you'll see the SF Command blade on their website shortly -- I know that it is in process.

Best,

Brian.

This is the commercial version of the SF Command knife. This one has the logos on it, the SF command is "sterile", meaning no markings to identify it as American made, etc...

I have handled this one, as well as its companion blades, and TOPS took the handle design and expanded it into a series called the ATC series (you can go to "what's new" at the TOPS site, then click on "new knives from TOPS," and scroll down). All of the ATC series are outstanding blades. They even have an SG FIVE knife, a variation designed for SWAT Teams, with the input of Mark Burnell, CEO of SG FIVE.

Click here for a pic of the SF Command/Hondo:

http://www.topsknives.com/products_pages/product_detail/atc_hondo.html

Thanks, Brian!

So the commercial version of the SF Command is called a Hondo, huh? No wonder I couldn't find it on the web site...
BTW, I really like the looks of it.

Leo

I really like this new "Sneaky Pete".

sneaky-pete-.jpg

Mike

Yep... Very nice.

Wonder how the sheath looks like though. The site says "Kydex heavy duty LBE" - does anyone know if it can be adapted for concealed urban carry in casual clothes?

Can't say enough about the quality of River City kydex sheaths. I had one made for my Sea Wolff that is absolutely amazing.

I am a little disappointed how long it's taking them to do the sheath for my Murray Carter neck knife, but the quality is first-rate.

Mike

Brian - Thanks for the heads-up picture of the SF Command / Hondo.

Yakking with Kelly tonight via the net. Asking him to post some thoughts on the design considerations for the SF-C. Seeking to obtain one from TOPS for field eval with report on this forum. Will advise Forum if and when this comes together.

Strider fans - How about some cyber evals and comments? I've heard many things and generally discount the trade articles. First hand, user evals would be nice to hear.

Can do?

Michael,

That is the Border Crossing -- I have one and love it. It is based on Kelly's Seawolf design, but it has a 1/4" blade so that it is a stout prying tool as well as a superb cutter. The point on mine is needle sharp, and it scares the hairs of my hand before even touching it!

Here's a link to another discussion, where I describe some of the design background and users in Afghanistan of the Border Crossing, and the bigger B.E.S.T. series blades, along with other forum members posting their impressions. (Greg, forgive me, I just realized reading there I unconsciously plagiarized your words above for describibg the pommel striker in that other forum - I'll edit for credit).

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=191000

Greg, please drop me an email -- I talked to Mike FUller and told him about your glowing recommendation, and I am certain I can set you up with an evaluation blade.

On Strider, Ryan Renuart, aka Knifebomber here, is an aerial gunner, and saw action in Afghanistan. On the Strider knives forum, he posted amazing pictures from his time there. He also posted some wild real-world uses and abuses of Strider blades. I'll find his post and cut and paste here, or we can start a new thread on Striders -- actually, new thread is best I think. I'll invite Mick and Duane over here to talk about their knives, too.

Best,

Brian.

PS Greg -- awesome job on this forum already. Intelligent and lively discussion without flamewars erupting.

Back