Tops War Bowie kitchen tasks

Hu23dNB.jpg

I was cruising a local for sale page and came across the Tops Prather War Bowie in as new condition for $100 picked up. I did a search and read a few reviews and the only complaint was users thought it over priced. In my case I figured I could use it, move it and not lose so made arrangements to pick it up. I have had other Tops knives like the SXB before and this one is of the same quality. I have medium sized hands and found the grip to be about perfect for me. It is a very rugged knife but to me I thought damn this thing looks like a kitchen knife more than anything so figured I would give it a go with some raw sweet potatoes and a slow cooked beef roast. I figured the potatoes would go better than they did. I got most of they way through them but due to the thick spine the blade stopped just short of slicing through and had to be pushed the rest of the way so not the best potato knife. This could also be due to the rough black finish. Next came the beef roast. The War Bowie can take a very sharp edge and it did a great job slicing the beef cross grain all the way through into nice delicious chunks. Way to go beef knife!

I also played around outside with it a little but am going to save that for a camping trip with Stabman. The only thing I wondered about is how fine the tip is so stabbed it several times into a piece of maple from our tree we had to cut down 2 weeks ago. Well several deep stabs did not blunt the tip but it did hurt my index finger due to the shape of the handle. Luckily I really dont find stabbing wood a very useful thing to do.
Now for the pics…..
JKQbuzR.jpg

sQItUxF.jpg

Rp2ffeY.jpg

ZacneZI.jpg

The only thing I really don’t like is the sheath but I have a piece of kydex so will put something together when I have the time. Or just carry it in a pack for special occasions.

Last edited:
Nice find. I’ve been on the lookout for a deal on one of them, really love the blade shape.

Great shape and size........ I forget who Originally came up with it?

Prather (hence the name), but I can’t remember his first name.
I was being more elusive..... I've seen posts about that design coming out earlier.

Idk?

*Edit
I still love the shape of the knife, even if there are All sorts of rumors.
If true, reads like a Soap Opera

Last edited:
I am not aware of the soap opera, I just thought it was a neat knife.

I spent a few hours tonight rubbing it with 0000 steel wool and denim and blued the text and logo. Then gave it a good sharpening and soaked it with fluid film which is essentially lanolin. The grip is still rough but a bit smoother.
PeQPVrw.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. :)
Can't wait to see how it does in the woods.

I personally would leave the Micarta untreated as it would likely be grippier, but hey, it's your knife. ;)

I have two. Stripped the coating off both, then forced a patina with white vinegar.
I love the dropped edge! It works like a kitchen knife, i often use mine when cutting large quantities of beef for canning.
Excellent field knife in the outdoors as well.
I can't stand the sheath they come with. Both of mine are in red hills kydex sheaths.

Back