Tormek 2004 Vs. Edgepro Professional

I know that sharpening can be a redundant topic, but I would like to ask you all what machine would be more suitable for not only the knife enthusiast, but someone who will sharpen knives for people as a way to make extra cash. I would be sharpening barber's shears and kitchen knives, as well as knives in general. So here is the comparision, Tormek 2004 with appropriate jigs or Edgepro Professional with scissor attachment.

Nobody has any insight to offer? I too am beginning to try to weigh the merits between these two systems. How heavy is the Tormek? How loud? How messy? Can I set it up in my kitchen?

You may want to look at learnign to use a belt sander. belt sanders can sharpen all of those tools, plus hatchets, 'hawks, machetes, axes, lawnmower blades, and so on quite easily. You have to be much more careful with heat though. I am sorry to add another machine to your list, but you did say you are looking at doing this for a bit of extra cash. I susoect the Tormek is more versatile than the Edge Pro for doing all sorts of tools, but a belt sander would be even better yet. You can do flat edges as well as convex edges with a belt sander with the addition or removal of the platen. Grit ranges are more than enough for sharpening, and belts are readily available. A grinder and a buffer or strop, in my opinion, is the best set-up.

Back