Tormek T-4 Opinions? for smaller EDC's? Traditionals?

Well, I've decided on buying a new sharpening system, I originally wanted a Wicked Edge, but have heard some disappointing things on the v3 clamps, so I recently found out that Tormek released a cheaper version of the T-7, the T-4 (I know I'm late to the party) it seems pretty good for a touch over $400, but most of the videos I see are of bigger fixed blades and kitchen knives, and whilst I want to sharpen these too, as well as my wood working hand tools and axes, I'm mostly wanting a quick but effective way of putting a good EDC edge (not a mirror edge) on my most carried and ussed EDC Knives, such as my Benchmade 940, Mini-Griptillian, Para 3, PM2, Delica, Dragonfly, ZT0450, ZT0470, ZT0900, as well as my secondary EDC like my traditionals like my GEC's and my Victorinox, as well as my Leatherman's, is the Tormek T-4 able to do this? Is it a relatively easy learning curve? Is it hard to ruin a knife on it? Is it actually any good?
Basically do you guys think a Tormek is for me or is another system a better option?
thanks

Well, I've decided on buying a new sharpening system, I originally wanted a Wicked Edge, but have heard some disappointing things on the v3 clamps, so I recently found out that Tormek released a cheaper version of the T-7, the T-4 (I know I'm late to the party) it seems pretty good for a touch over $400, but most of the videos I see are of bigger fixed blades and kitchen knives, and whilst I want to sharpen these too, as well as my wood working hand tools and axes, I'm mostly wanting a quick but effective way of putting a good EDC edge (not a mirror edge) on my most carried and ussed EDC Knives, such as my Benchmade 940, Mini-Griptillian, Para 3, PM2, Delica, Dragonfly, ZT0450, ZT0470, ZT0900, as well as my secondary EDC like my traditionals like my GEC's and my Victorinox, as well as my Leatherman's, is the Tormek T-4 able to do this? Is it a relatively easy learning curve? Is it hard to ruin a knife on it? Is it actually any good?
Basically do you guys think a Tormek is for me or is another system a better option?
thanks

I just recently commented on this HERE, (the short answer, if all you want to sharpen is knives, I'd look at a sharpener specific to knives) but I'll add, if you don't like the clamp on the W.E., I doubt you'll like the Tormek Knife Jig. But since you want to sharpen other things beside knives, it might be worth it for you to invest in the system and learn the ins and outs. Once you get used to it, you can sharpen a knife pretty effectively. It will sharpen most of the knives you mentioned, but there is a bit of a learning curve (just like any system or method), and like I said, the Jig isn't the greatest, but there are ways to adapt. It also sounds like you might need their "Small Knife Holder", for some of the knives you mentioned.

If you're not aware they make the T-4 Bushcraft Edition... that comes with some of the jigs it sounds like you'll use. I would also look at getting their Truing Tool or something similar, to maintain the wheel.

Like I said in the other thread, if all you wanted to do is knives, I'd look elsewhere, but since you want to sharpen other things you mentioned... it's a good overall system, and would probably be worth the investment, both in money and learning to use it.

A powered sharpener for little knives (and even for reprofiling larger knives) is over kill. Atom bomb for an ant hill time.

Edge Pro Apex.
I've hand sharpened on and off on stones since I was a little kid, first with cheep junk Arkansas stones from the Army Surplus store then actually quite decent Japanese stones and strops.
The Edge Pro allows one to produce edges that are breath taking.
If you follow the instructions to the letter, make a check list for yourself and follow it until you get it DOWN, you simply will not want for a better edge.

All from a little thing that folds up and fits in a bag about the size of a folding fishing pole or pool cue.

Just because something has a cord that plugs in the wall and makes a bunch of noise doesn't mean it does a better job.

PS: I have a similar motorized sharpener made by Delta Tools.

Edge Pro
The ultimate design It's not what you can add but what you can eliminate.
Eliminate the motor, the monstrous amount of the ONE GRIT stone and replace it with a few stones just large enough to get the job done (all fit in a shirt pocket with room to spare), eliminate large frame works and clamps and replace it with a simple shelf with a little stop to hold the knife against, eliminate the big trough of water and just sharpen near the sink to rinse the stones and knife.

I could bang on and on.

Last edited:
my wood working hand tools
Veritas Jig and two or three bench stones. Sounds like a simple Crystolon stone will get you the edges you asked for (not polished).
(for woodworking go polished . . . we are push cutting after all) ;)
Here is a link to both Edge Pro and Varitas / wood plane edges. Page down here LINK > > >

Axes : don't burn wood you are poisoning yourself and your neighbors. :eek: :(

Just buy a few good stones, and learn to use them freehand.
Nah, nah
He (we) need something "more" . . . you know . . . something with gnurled knobs all over it or esoteric looking numbered settings . . . little ineffable addons to buy . . . new and "improved" ineffable addons to buy later.

Preferably made from brass and wrinkle finish painted castings.

Just get a stone or two and learn to use them . . . pleeeaase . . . that's old school :):):)

thanks

Just buy a few good stones, and learn to use them freehand.

For what you're doing the Tormek is going to be a steep learning curve and not very practical for axes and some woodworking tools. I have a Triton wet grinder and honestly I don't like the concave bevel it makes as it produces more wedging force than a hand sharpened chisel or plane iron. For an axe I cannot imagine using anything more exotic than a belt grinder for the initial setting of the bit.

Spend a fraction of the $400 on some cheap knives and a good set of stones and just learn freehand, especially as high polish and cosmetic perfection are not on your list. Don't be afraid to wreck a few knives/hatchet learning, you'll get more than good enough with some practice.

Depending on the time frame you want to get it in, my suggestion would be to watch The Exchange and pick up a used edgepro , hapstone or maybe a kme for the knives. and a small belt sander for the axes. maybe even a puck....Sure you get a one size fits all.
Heck, my Hapstone M2 is 149.00 with basic SIC stone or 199.00 for it and a 5 stone set up. people try out sharpeners and decide to go another way. I see sharpener systems for sale seems like every other week here. Just a thought.

thanks

Curious what disappointing things you've heard about the WE V3 clamps? I assume you speaking about the Cam Lock version? If so, it works amazing well with just about any kind of blade. I love my WE 130. Never has issued whatsoever with the clamp.

The standard clamp does have some draw backs when dealing with FFG blades but this can be worked around.

Back