1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Tough specialty materials that resist wear from the environment?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by HouseBuilder328, Aug 10, 2019.

1. HouseBuilder328

HouseBuilder328

Feb 28, 2018
    Can anyone comment on what materials can resist the most wear? And not just "rough" use, but just wear from things like hand oils and environmental issues like sunlight and water.

This used to be just "custom" materials, but now things like Zirconium and Timascus are making their way into EDC knives. How well does Zirconium and Timascus do with water, sunlight and hand oil wear?

Black canvas is still a popular material so I'm assuming this material is pretty tough as long as it's applied with mineral oil every year?

2. SavageSick

SavageSick

Mar 24, 2017
    I think titanium or some polymer is your best best.

Spyderco's SALT line-up are outstanding for any marine-related tasks.

HouseBuilder328 and onekerf like this.
  3. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    What are these "materials" going to be used for? Blades? Handles? Sheaths? Some more specifics would help.

4. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    Pretty much anything synthetic for the handle. I prefer g10 or micarta. For the blade, stainless at least. If corrosion is a major concern maybe a spyderco salt series as someone suggested. There is no shortage of great options.

HouseBuilder328 likes this.
  5. HouseBuilder328

HouseBuilder328

Feb 28, 2018
    Most of these higher end EDC knives had zirconium for bolster and thumbstuds. Timascus is the same, for thumbstuds and bolsters. Do Timascus or Zirconium thumbstuds wear due to the human interaction or do they retain their color?

The black canvas is commonly used for handles. Blade steel seems to be mostly of all high quality.

6. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Inconel 625. It's the honey badger of metals. No matter what the exposure, it does not care.
    http://www.specialmetals.com/assets/smc/documents/alloys/inconel/inconel-alloy-625.pdf

It's use would be overkill on a knife. But you did not limit the responses.

7. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Some years ago I took off the roof of my father house piece of Micarta , it was a holder for a TV antenna last 30 years :) Cold winter and hot summer , rain in autumn , that is climate in Macedonia ................it s like new ,only first layer was gray .somewhere I have picture of knife with handle from that piece .I don t think that someone can wear handle from Micarta not even after 500 years of use ....

HouseBuilder328 likes this.
  8. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Plastic/FRN for Scales and H1 for Steel should be pretty darn impervious to the environment.

DocJD, TheEdge01 and HouseBuilder328 like this.
  9. HouseBuilder328

HouseBuilder328

Feb 28, 2018
    Interesting material - this stuff is used in Elon Musk's Falcon rockets and NASA's new Space Launch system. So I probably don't have enough money for that!

10. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    FB0E9871-EAE3-46C0-8221-6AE11BC417EF.jpeg 180E08FC-0202-4BBC-9A18-70A07AAA2DD1.jpeg Kraton makes long lasting handles. Stellite makes long lasting blades. They put it on the edge of bulldozer blades and teeth of steam shovel buckets for wear resistance. Both of these materials are found in knives. The Mission knife has Kraton handle slabs. The Darrel Ralph folder has a Stellite 6-K blade.

11. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    It is not that expensive..........cost from 20 - 50 $ for one kilogram in tube shape.It is used for exhaust system too.............. ;) For what you will use it in knife ? I have one tube /muffler / to cut it :D

12. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
  13. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    No. Not hard enough. Can make other knife parts if you wanted, though. I did not take the question to be specific to blade steel.

unwisefool likes this.