Tough specialty materials that resist wear from the environment?

Can anyone comment on what materials can resist the most wear? And not just "rough" use, but just wear from things like hand oils and environmental issues like sunlight and water.

This used to be just "custom" materials, but now things like Zirconium and Timascus are making their way into EDC knives. How well does Zirconium and Timascus do with water, sunlight and hand oil wear?

Black canvas is still a popular material so I'm assuming this material is pretty tough as long as it's applied with mineral oil every year?

Can anyone comment on what materials can resist the most wear? And not just "rough" use, but just wear from things like hand oils and environmental issues like sunlight and water.

This used to be just "custom" materials, but now things like Zirconium and Timascus are making their way into EDC knives. How well does Zirconium and Timascus do with water, sunlight and hand oil wear?

Black canvas is still a popular material so I'm assuming this material is pretty tough as long as it's applied with mineral oil every year?
What are these "materials" going to be used for? Blades? Handles? Sheaths? Some more specifics would help.

Pretty much anything synthetic for the handle. I prefer g10 or micarta. For the blade, stainless at least. If corrosion is a major concern maybe a spyderco salt series as someone suggested. There is no shortage of great options.

Most of these higher end EDC knives had zirconium for bolster and thumbstuds. Timascus is the same, for thumbstuds and bolsters. Do Timascus or Zirconium thumbstuds wear due to the human interaction or do they retain their color?

The black canvas is commonly used for handles. Blade steel seems to be mostly of all high quality.

Some years ago I took off the roof of my father house piece of Micarta , it was a holder for a TV antenna last 30 years :) Cold winter and hot summer , rain in autumn , that is climate in Macedonia ................it s like new ,only first layer was gray .somewhere I have picture of knife with handle from that piece .I don t think that someone can wear handle from Micarta not even after 500 years of use ....

FB0E9871-EAE3-46C0-8221-6AE11BC417EF.jpeg 180E08FC-0202-4BBC-9A18-70A07AAA2DD1.jpeg Kraton makes long lasting handles. Stellite makes long lasting blades. They put it on the edge of bulldozer blades and teeth of steam shovel buckets for wear resistance. Both of these materials are found in knives. The Mission knife has Kraton handle slabs. The Darrel Ralph folder has a Stellite 6-K blade.

Interesting material - this stuff is used in Elon Musk's Falcon rockets and NASA's new Space Launch system. So I probably don't have enough money for that!
It is not that expensive..........cost from 20 - 50 $ for one kilogram in tube shape.It is used for exhaust system too.............. ;) For what you will use it in knife ? I have one tube /muffler / to cut it :D

Back