Toughest multi tool with pliers?

JDX

i had a leatherman wave. It was nice, but many tools on it snapped. Like flat head screw driver. I liked the one handed operation of the pliers. Having the spring.

Is there a multitool that has pliers that are spring loaded ? It's not a priority though. The priority is toughness. Also i looked at Gerber, but the design requires pliers to be open for any tools to be used so if there's a way tools can be accessed without opening pliers that would be great.

First post in this sub forum so I'm not really knowledgeable. As for knives, Gerber isn't great..how are the multitools? Open to recommendations.

Requirements:
Tough.
Tools accessed without opening pliers.
Spring loaded pliers would be great but not important.
Don't need knife or most tools, mainly just screwdrivers, saw, serrated knife, bottle opener.

In my mind there's only two multitools that qualifies as "toughest". It's the Leatherman Supertool 300 and the SOG Powertool/Assist.

The Sog powerassist is the only really tough multitool that can access the blades without opening the pliers as far as I know.

If you wanna compromise toughness slightly I'm sure there's a ton more options out there though.

from the 4 main manufacturers the toughest pliers are Vic Swisstool, SOG Blacktip and PP, ST300 and Gerber MP1.
Of those, only the Victorinox and MP1 have outside accessible tools, but none are spring loaded (as that is generally considered a point of potential failure)

the MP1 has forged pliers head (as opposed to all other multitools which are cast) making them much stronger but also prone to corrosion. The Victorinox is known for its incredible durability and strength for long periods of time of use and abuse, but there are reports of broken jaws from Swisstools around.
None of the MP1 and AFAIK there is also no broken reports of broken PowerPliers, which to me are the strongest pliers on a multitool that I've encountered (and I've had 3 Swistools, none failed but the SOG feels stronger and more durable)

aFDzS7k.jpg

for a strong, spring assisted tool with outside accessible partially serrated blade, drivers and tools my favorite is the Gerber MP800 below

SXziWtx.jpg

No multi is ever going to be as strong as the tool it replaces. There have been some good options offered so far, including a pry-bar. Its like the expression, your pistol isn't for fighting, its for fighting your way back to your rifle, a multi isn't your toolbox, its for when you need to fix something before you can reach to your real tools.

The SOG Powertool is kind of beastly. I view it as one of the better MTs that are available. My favorites are Vic, SOG, and Leatherman... in that order. Couldn't say which is stronger, but I suspect the SOG is the strongest.

from the 4 main manufacturers the toughest pliers are Vic Swisstool, SOG Blacktip and PP, ST300 and Gerber MP1.
Of those, only the Victorinox and MP1 have outside accessible tools, but none are spring loaded (as that is generally considered a point of potential failure)

the MP1 has forged pliers head (as opposed to all other multitools which are cast) making them much stronger but also prone to corrosion. The Victorinox is known for its incredible durability and strength for long periods of time of use and abuse, but there are reports of broken jaws from Swisstools around.
None of the MP1 and AFAIK there is also no broken reports of broken PowerPliers, which to me are the strongest pliers on a multitool that I've encountered (and I've had 3 Swistools, none failed but the SOG feels stronger and more durable)

aFDzS7k.jpg

for a strong, spring assisted tool with outside accessible partially serrated blade, drivers and tools my favorite is the Gerber MP800 below

SXziWtx.jpg
Thank you for really going in depth and helping me understand the differences between the brands. Appreciate it!

My original Swisstool can do things that would damage the needle nose on my Charge TTi. The disadvantage is they don't open as wide.

What type of steel do they use in the Swiss tool knives? Anyone know if it's AEB-L or more 440, 420?
Thanks, Neal

I gotta say swisstool.

Feels much stronger than my wave.
Like over better build and thicker steel.

I like my wave better but if you're worried about strength you need to try a swisstool.

What type of steel do they use in the Swiss tool knives? Anyone know if it's AEB-L or more 440, 420?
Thanks, Neal

it's actually a proprietary steel with a weird name, but similar to 420 (that is soft, easy tosharpne, very stainless)

Swisstool & the Spirit are the toughest multi-tools on the planet. And the highest quality.

Victorinox uses a softer steel that doesn't snap. I've had Swisstools for over 10 years and have broken my fair share of Leatherman and SOG tools. Never a SwissTool.

On the web, you can easily find pictures of busted multi-tools and I've only seen pics of 1 or 2 broken SwissTools.

Also worth noting, the SwissTool is nearly unchanged since it was released in 1996. Talk about getting it right the first time :)

Might check the Gerber Center Drive, not the perfect tool but isn't bad for what's being offered. Springloaded handles as well.

Swisstool & the Spirit are the toughest multi-tools on the planet. And the highest quality.

Also worth noting, the SwissTool is nearly unchanged since it was released in 1996. Talk about getting it right the first time :)

I agree with you on all points, the Vic tools are the sturdiest and it's hard to find a broken one.
Just to be precise, the Swisstool has had 8 changes (improvements, add-ons, etc.) in design since 1996, but it's indeed the most resilient MT out there.

The changes have been extremely minor. Off the top of my head, the plier head has been re-engineered multiple times, the started using a better file (Swiss Army Knives too) and they changed the pointy serrated blade to a sheepsfoot. The design has remained unchanged. Perfect example of doing something right the first time :) seems like all the other multi-tool manufacturers just pump out tools for the sake of releasing new tools. Leatherman is especially guilty of this.

I agree with you on all points, the Vic tools are the sturdiest and it's hard to find a broken one.
Just to be precise, the Swisstool has had 8 changes (improvements, add-ons, etc.) in design since 1996, but it's indeed the most resilient MT out there.

And, they've added different models in the X and RS but that is just to suit people with different needs.

Back