Recommendation? TOUGHEST steel in general

infi .300 thick, dull from the factory so it does not roll or chip (great reviews, but never used it steel as well....according to its fanbase). Higher the price the tougher it is around these parts....or 1095 at .180 thick for tough KNIFE use and value (U.S.A made;))

Last edited:
Ferrium M54. Even (a little bit) tougher than Aermet 100 and with an ultimate tensile strength bigger than 2000MPA, this should be the toughest.

I’m sorry, I should have explained better.

Aermet 100, AF1410, Premomet and Ferrium M54 are the strongest and toughest steels In existence today (or they where maybe 10 years ago). This steels are even tougher than any Maraging steel and that 4140/4340 steel, and they can be hardened as well (54-56hrc maybe). They make S7 look brittle. Can they be used to make a knife/sword? I’m sure they can. But they usually only can be found in rounds and are not for the average heat treater. For one to get those amazing properties these alloys have to offer, they must be forged to shape and heat treated with precise temperatures. Maybe mild steel can be even tougher, but it’s almost like rubber, it has almost zero strength.

strongest and toughest

Do you mean toughest, rather than strongest and toughest? Strength = resistance to deformation, roughly analogous to hardness. So strength and toughness are, while not mutually exclusive, at least somewhat of a trade off against each other.

Do you mean toughest, rather than strongest and toughest? Strength = resistance to deformation, roughly analogous to hardness. So strength and toughness are, while not mutually exclusive, at least somewhat of a trade off against each other.

I mean the toughest that have some strength in them.

Or the strongest between the toughest. Maybe 40hrc 4340 is even tougher, but between the 54-56hrc, these steels are the toughest.

Last edited:
I am happy with 5160. Anything that can survive for a decade or more while playing leaf spring for our vehicles, has demonstrated the ability to retain its shape after many thousands of shocks and certainly has enough corrosion resistance for my needs. You can go exotic but I doubt it will be much better until we upgrade to practical light sabers. At the end of the day steel is steel and whatever you are trying to achieve can be better done by altering the blade and edge geometry.

n2s

Back