Toughness numbers for D2 with low temper and cryo?

Title says. Nathan the machinist and Brad stallSmith of peters I remember saying how D2 was a whole different animal with said ht. Anyone have any data and or said recipe?

Most D2 is heat treated with a low temper. And many knife makers use cryo. Our test on D2 used a cryo low temper heat treatment:
upload_2018-9-25_21-2-15.jpeg

This may well be a really dumb question, but Larrin, can you talk about this chart? I see AEB-L way up at the top with 40+ ft-lbs on the toughness scale at around 59.5 Rc. Any idea what the toughness would be with hardness up at 61 Rc? 62 Rc?

Also, is AEB-L really that much tougher than Z-Wear, CPM154, etc?

Thank you for your time,
Ken H>

Carbide volume, alloy and hardness determine toughness. To a lesser extent the heat treat will affect toughness, like retained austenite.

Manufacture will also contribute to toughness like PM, ESR, cleanliness and grain size.

Hoss

This may well be a really dumb question, but Larrin, can you talk about this chart? I see AEB-L way up at the top with 40+ ft-lbs on the toughness scale at around 59.5 Rc. Any idea what the toughness would be with hardness up at 61 Rc? 62 Rc?

Also, is AEB-L really that much tougher than Z-Wear, CPM154, etc?

Thank you for your time,
Ken H>
I can guess how tough it would be at higher hardness but it’s better if we test it at that hardness instead. Anyone is free to send me the samples and I will test them.

AEB-L has a small volume of very tiny carbides. It is a very tough steel.

I can guess how tough it would be at higher hardness but it’s better if we test it at that hardness instead. Anyone is free to send me the samples and I will test them.

AEB-L has a small volume of very tiny carbides. It is a very tough steel.

Because I have a huge curiosity in a stainless chopper or machete, what kind of cost would one be looking at if they simply wanted to fund the steel and not send it your way? Feel free to PM me if that's not appropriate for this thread.

I could probably say the same statement of D2 at a low hardness, under 60, probably mid 50's like 55-57 maybe. Would it be worth it to make a knife at that point? Purely curious on this one but the AEB-L is far more interesting and probably more useful information as I've already considered a custom machete/golok design in the steel.

D2 with a modified heat treat is amazing. Pain in the ass to grind and finish but worth it.

I have no numbers but I do have a stainless kukri of 440B .Very appropriate alloy for that job. It was Italian made forAGRussell . I bought it as a user, works well.

There is a guy on youtube that has been using AEBL for large thin choppers and thy are working good.

Back