Tradional(-ish) With Pocket Clip

I have had to adapt knives as I have limited use of my left hand. Other alterations you can make:

--attach a thumb stud. Various companies sell them.

--on flat knives (eg, Mercator, Douk Douk) you can attach a clip. They are made by NiteIze.
Mercator now sells a version with a clip.

Boker Plus Tech-Tool City 1.
Don't have it, but looking at it for a while.

I've been looking for sort of the same thing. I'm taking a trip to Canada in a couple of weeks and wanted something that would be "safe" to carry across the border. I think I've settled on one of the Buck 110's w/clip.

I wish vendors would put an option to search for knives with or without pocket clips on their sites.

I wish vendors would put an option to search for knives with or without pocket clips on their sites.

With ya'. Was all set to pick up a Lionsteel Kur with Santos Wood scales, until reading through the forums here about that model, with wood scales, not coming with the wire pocket clip. Haven't decided whether I want the G10 version (with the clip), but it would have been nice to know from vendors on their sites that as much was the case with that particular version of that knife.

Been turned off by some reports of blade wobble and play in the liner lock though.
I've seen this complaint about almost every knife around at times. :rolleyes: It happens with some I guess; not mine. :thumbsup: Try one from a BF participating dealer and you won't have to worry (though, if you get a lemon, return can be a pain). :( I doubt it will happen. :)

Benchmade North Fork might be worth a look. It's a little fat in the pocket though.

Or a Spyderco Sage 4, if you can find one.

I’ve wanted one of those for awhile. Been turned off by some reports of blade wobble and play in the liner lock though.
I have 2 clipless Trapperlocks. The Red Bone has a touch of blade wobble and the yella one is solid as a rock (and used a bunch).

Thanks in part to this thread I have a new Cypress trapper on the way! :thumbsup:

I have 2 clipless Trapperlocks. The Red Bone has a touch of blade wobble and the yella one is solid as a rock (and used a bunch).

Thanks in part to this thread I have a new Cypress trapper on the way! :thumbsup:
That’s another one I covet. Let us know what you think when it arrives.

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this but after dabbling in the tradition world for a bit I’m looking to expand out. The problem is so many modern folders just look too tactical for me. Does anyone know of a nice compromise? Specifically looking for a single blade with a pocket clip that is a little more on the classic side.

Not the compromise you were looking for but I'll share how I've merge my love for traditional single blade folders and the convenience of pocket clips.

The tricky bit is that this requires the use of a sewing machine or knowing somebody who knows how to use one.

I've run a 2.5" seam up from the bottom of the right rear pocket of all my pants - jeans, Dickies... all of them.

Knife goes vertically in the pocket in a pocket.

This is a super comfortable way to carry a big knife and I find it better than clip in every way. It doesn't advertise the knife. Doesn't destroy the front pocket (some knives will eat through the rear pocket on denim or canvas pants though but not as fast as pocket clip wear. The knife is super easy to reach and replace. The knife never scratches cars and never catches on sweaters or clothing. And very importantly, there is no pocket clip to muck up the ergonomics of the knife.

I carry a Buck 110 most days, and Opinel 9 on many days and several others as my whim dictates.

Point being that if you go to rear pocket carry, the set of traditional single blade folders you can carry opens way way up.

That’s another one I covet. Let us know what you think when it arrives.
The Cypress Trapper in natural micarta arrived on Friday and I have been "test-driving" it ever since. Now, I'm not trying to do a comprehensive review here, just want to give a couple first impressions.

It's a heavy chunk of knife! Hand filling and stout. Obviously, a lot went into designing this knife and I am not going to second guess any decisions that were made, because usually things are done a certain way for a reason. It's not a crazy brick, but an open backed design would have saved some weight. Detent is very strong, and the knife flicks open like you want it to. It is breaking in nicely, but at first it was hard to open it without flicking it. I resisted the urge to mess with the pivot screw and I'm glad I did, as I said, it is breaking in very well.

Lockup is totally rock solid and no blade play whatsoever. Blade came shaving sharp. Nice sized lanyard hole that you don't have to fight paracord to get thru. Pocket clip is nice and tight but I have snagged it on a couple of shirts. When I look at it, it really doesn't stick up any more than a Delica clip tho, so the problem was probably user error. The stonewash finish on the blade is a great touch, and speaking of the blade, the thumb stud is a bit on the small side.

I was going to grouse about the price a bit, but The Cypress is so well put together, it feels like the price is fairly appropriate. Still, some aren't going to be able to bring themselves to go 120 to 130 bucks for D2 and G10/micarta. Great Box that the knife comes in, but no "paperwork" apart form the vapor paper and plastic sleeve wrapping the knife.

I think this one will be "Miley" Cypress and I'll eventually get one in black G10 and call it "Billy Ray" Cypress. If you are a fan of the Trapperlock and wanted something more robust, this would be a good knife to try.

Back