Traditional and Modern pairings

Smallish (4") modern and tiny (2-3/4") traditional lightweight dress combo.

The lit'l Ohta is usually all I need. It's surprising how useful and versatile a pen blade-sized Wharncliffe can be.

MandTcombo.jpg

Smallish (4") modern and tiny (2-3/4") traditional lightweight dress combo.

The lit'l Ohta is usually all I need. It's surprising how useful and versatile a pen blade-sized Wharncliffe can be.

Very nice, Rick! You know I like Ohta's! Todd Begg makes an excellent knife. That one's a beauty.

Thanks!

Seems like it's getting increasingly difficult these days to find a reasonably stout non-traditional folder that doesn't look like an ammo crate prybar with a galvanized trashcan finish. Todd's "Gent's" flipper fits the bill for me nicely, and his fit and finish is *gosh darn ;)* close to perfect.

Thanks!

Seems like it's getting increasingly difficult these days to find a reasonably stout non-traditional folder that doesn't look like an ammo crate prybar with a galvanized trashcan finish. Todd's "Gent's" flipper fits the bill for me nicely, and his fit and finish is *gosh darn ;)* close to perfect.

You really hit the nail on the head with that statement. I came back to traditional knives from a very short foray into modern production knives. I do have a few of them, but traditionals are where "I'm at" just because of what you say above.

Ed J

I´m having some time today - so I took a few pics more...

ultra-light dress carry... Böker Plus Exskellibur 2 (small version) linerless and Case Peanut...

IMG_2451.jpg

building lot setup ... two real workinghorses Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and Mercator K55K

IMG_2453.jpg

Hi guys, foggy weather here

Today I’m walking whit my CR Umnumzaan, here whit my beloved Omega PO

It’s not a traditional knife, but I’m interested on discuss something about modern knives vs traditional.

Being a CR knife, this folder is of course very well made

The knife handled

The knife it’s really efficient, despite the thickness of the blade has a good cutting efficiency

I forgot to show you the glass-breaker, which is a nice touch of class

That said, let’s to compare it whit the Tidioute 235511LT

These two knives are similar in size, but not about materials of course

The blades are different in thickness, and while the CR use a “super” steel (S30V), the Tidioute sports a very traditional 1095 carbon steel

Handles are really different, not in thickness, which is similar, but about the general shape and “feeling” on the hands

I used both the Umnumzaan and the Tidiuote a lot for my outdoor activities. What I prefere is a tough decision. The CR feels really robust, well made without any doubt. Of course, the one-hand opening feature is really comfortable. It’s a top class knife (also about the price). Anyway, I like more the Tidiuote, because of the much more comfortable handle, and the better cutting efficiency. I really think the bone handles are especially a great “plus”, really comfortable in hand, you may work hours and hours without any problems, and unfortunately I cannot say the same for the Umnumzaan handle. My final vote is so for the Tidiuote.

Ciao,
Alfredo

I am going to merge this into the Traditional/modern pairings thread.

I'm torn about this. On the one hand, when a knife starts getting in the > 4" range, I prefer modern looking folders over slipjoints. They're more comfortable clipped than riding around loose in a pocket. On the other hand, I have a CRK (large regular Sebenza). Hard to beat the quality, and it's one of my favorite knives. I have trouble keeping it as sharp as my slipjoinths though. It's not a problem with sharpening, but rather the design. The open back of the Sebenza and Umnumzaan allows keys and such to hit the blade's edge, dulling it in the process. So while the CRK should theoretically stay sharper, in actual usage it doesn't last as long as my slipjoints.

- Christian

As per Pertinux' request in another thread.

I carry a tiny Boker Keycom pretty much at all times with a small Fenix flashlight attached to it. The Keycom has a pocket clip which I clip to the corner of my front right trousers pocket. It suspends the flashlight so it's not clattering around in a lump with keys or pocket change, and makes it easy to grab the light or the blade without fishing around for it. It's a frame-lock with a thumbstud and allows for one-handed operation.

I use it almost as much for the clip as I do the fact that it is a serviceable small knife. Because I get so much functionality out of the clip/blade/flashlight combo, that's going to be on me no matter what else I might be carrying. So enough about the evil modern stuff.

I normally pair it with a traditional of some sort which is carried in a different pocket. Recently that has been my Case Small Texas Jack in Amber Bone CV (pictured below). Some days I'll instead carry a Case Peanut or Tiny Trapper (like today).

image_zps1ab9984b.jpg

I may convert to an all-traditional set up in the future which gives me similar utility. I've got a TEC accessories pocket suspension clip ordered, and I'm looking for either a Peanut or Case Pen with a bail, so that I can hang it from the clip and still get the same functionality. Just not too happy about having that metal knurled flashlight banging against the knife if I hang both of them off the clip.

Here's a combo I like. I carry the Matsuno liner lock in a William Henry clip pouch. It is real handy when I can't get to the SBJ in my pocket.
With the nice stag and the Devon Thomas Spirograph Damascus it gets some comments.
2013-02-12_12-15-40_255.jpg

Here's a combo I like. I carry the Matsuno liner lock in a William Henry clip pouch. It is real handy when I can't get to the SBJ in my pocket.
With the nice stag and the Devon Thomas Spirograph Damascus it gets some comments.
2013-02-12_12-15-40_255.jpg

I can see why, beautiful knife!

As per Pertinux' request in another thread.

Thanks, though I'm tempted to say I just wanted to see the cat avatar again. ;)

Thanks for the picture, and your detailed explanation. I'm thinking of an E15 myself, but that's not only another thread, that's another subforum!

I can understand your not wanting your tools/knives to bang together. It seems you have a good, functional set-up right now. I'll be interested in what choices you make (knife or knives, attachments, etc.) going forward, especially if you do go "all-traditional." That Texas Jack is so fine, and the Boker looks so useful, you may find you're already in the place you want to be. :thumbup:

~ P.

Thanks, though I'm tempted to say I just wanted to see the cat avatar again. ;)
...That Texas Jack is so fine, and the Boker looks so useful, you may find you're already in the place you want to be. :thumbup:

~ P.
Well that would be no fun, it would mean I should stop buying knives!

Speaking of cat avatars... Here's the avatar above and his brother. Angus and Beau, provided as a link rather than inline so as not to clutter up the forum.

pocket01.jpg

Boker Plus Tom Krein Pocket Bowie, KO Custom 'Good Beers' friction folder, Case Small Texas Jack CV

insingo01.jpg

Victorinox Pioneer and CRK Large Sebenza 21 Insingo

-Brett

These two today. I slipped the Kershaw back in my pocket last night when I went out with a friend, and it remains with me today. I am trying to convince myself that I don't need a GEC Houndstooth because I have this Leek.

Even though it is larger than anything I usually carry, clipped to my pocket I am almost completely unaware of its presence. Its quick deployment and amazingly sharp edge make it a very useful tool.

Sorry for the picture quality.

peanutleekFeb13_zpsbd02d6d5.jpg

Brett I really like that Tom Krein Pocket Bowie! Hard to find here in Europe at a reasonable price, sigh!

Regards, Will

Back