Traditional Finnish Knife Making

jeffbird

Gold Member
Stumbled across this on youtube and found it very interesting, thought others might as well.

If anyone has a link to where the knives at the end are available, please post a link.

Thanks.

I think (?) that it is an older example of Iisakki Jarvenpaa from the 50's or so. Although the same pattern/style was used by several other puukko makers: Reino Kankaanpaa, Eino Lahdensuo, Juho or Kustaa Lammi, Luomanen & Kumpp among others. The style was very popular (and still is) in the Kauhava and Lapua regions of Finland. Whoever the maker is, he is a master craftsman. The intarsia work (handle inlay) is outstanding. Great video. Thanks.
Rich

Last edited:
If you can find out who the maker is, please let us know. If he is still alive and working I'd love to get one of his puukko. Might show the video to Taisto Kuortti (you'll need to Google his website) He is the grandmaster of puukko and head of the Knife Association of Finland. If he doesn't know, I doubt anyone else would.
I found his website: http://www.taistokuortti.com.

Rich

Sent him an email using google translate and received this back and translated back.

The man is Kustaa Lammi (1901-2001). In this movie he is about 75-80 years old. I knew very well a man and we were friends. I teach myself the same knife, 66 colleges in Finland. I've written a book Sorkoupotus manufacture these knives. I put a picture when I find it on my computer.

Thanks for finding out the smith. I sort of thought it was Kustaa Lammi as I have several of his works and that in the video looked very similar. Great Finnish puukko master.
Rich (old puukkophile)

Back