Traditional katana swordsmith

Hello, I’m new to this forum.

I was just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am looking for a traditionally forged katana, made by the old methods of Japanese smiths. I own several Japanese swords already, but they are either production swords or antiques. I am aware of the UK laws on importing swords into the country, but know that these can be bypassed under certain conditions. As far as I am aware there are not any smiths within the UK who forge traditional Japanese swords, unless anyone here knows of any that they can put me in contact with. This would be preferred to getting one imported from Japan, although it would have to be a legit smith who can forge in the traditional way. But has anyone in this forum ever had a traditional katana imported from Japan to the UK in recent years? If so can I be pointed in the right direction of such smith(s)? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Adam. Humble sword collector.

Hi mate, £500-£2000 range, I know people can sell for a lot higher though. Is that a site you have used before?
Well, if you are looking for a sword of your budget and want traditional, you might find a blade there and start from that. Head on over to the Sword Buyers Guide forum and you can see what's up at that price range. You will not find a super antique to play with at that range but there are folks in the UK with stuff to sell. SBG-forum look in the Japanese section.

AOI has had an internet presence since the 1990s. The gold standard of retail.

If SBG seems loopy, it is at times. The people will be knowledgeable and friendly.

So, also check in here for the next phase. https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/index.php

There are fb groups as well.

Stein's Japanese Sword Index has more reading and more links than one will digest in one setting

I have just a few Japanese type blades.

Logistics will mess with you as well, so SBG may be able to hook you up with a good sword in the UK.

Cheers
GC

horseclover horseclover wouldn't steer you wrong here, they are a huge contributor to sword section. I would trust their recommendation.
Just curious as to who you mean when you say "huge contributor to the sword section". Are you referring to "Horseclover" or AoiJapan? I have never see Aoi post here.
It always amazes me how when recommendations are asked for you get things like "Aoi", but not someone who takes time from their schedule to help others in the sword section. ????

Just curious as to who you mean when you say "huge contributor to the sword section". Are you referring to "Horseclover" or AoiJapan? I have never see Aoi post here.
It always amazes me how when recommendations are asked for you get things like "Aoi", but not someone who takes time from their schedule to help others in the sword section. ????
I just meant that horseclover horseclover makes good posts in the sword section. I know very little about traditional Japanese sword making, so if I see someone like them (or you for that matter. I think you are probably the most knowledgeable person I am aware of on the subject) say "This is where you should go", I am gonna second the recommendation. I personally know absolutely nothing about Aoi and if I had the funds and mind to buy an original, I would probably come to you as I have seen you direct people to exact pieces before.

Heyo, if by traditionally forged, you mean tamahagane steel forged by hand and water quenched. I know of no smiths outside of japan that can make genuine gendaito katana for custom order. There are smiths in japan you can reach out to, however the price for a full size katana is about 1 million yen or about 6000 usd. Hope this helps!

As far as I am aware there are not any smiths within the UK who forge traditional Japanese swords
If they have not completed an approved apprenticeship under a licensed Japanese sword smith, and have become licensed themselves by the Japanese government, then they are not forging traditional Japanese swords. There are people who forge Japanese style swords out there, but very few genuine Japanese sword smiths. I only know of a couple, one in Canada, one in Australia. There was one, in fact the first one from outside Japan was Keith "Nobuhira" Austin. He was licensed in Japan in the 60's, eventually moved back to California where he lived until his death.

Having a sword commissioned in Japan can be very expensive. I saw a number of modern made swords which are called Shinsakuto in Japan back in November of 2023. They can command very high prices.

Your best bet, is to find a modern traditional Japanese made blade.

Back