Traditional Knives and Pocket Tools

JohnDF

Gold Member
I tried to like Victorinox Swiss Army Knives, but I just never did take to them. However, I do like the idea of having those extra tools handy for light daily tasks. So I've decided to pair my traditional knives with a handy little pocket tool. I've started with the Gerber Shard and so far it's proved to be a well designed little tool. The screw drivers work perfectly and the bottle opener works too. The little pry tool works for small things, I was able to open a paint can with it. The nail puller seems kind of silly, but it is handy for pulling staples. :cool::thumbsup:

Let's see some of your little pocket tools along with the traditional knives they help out... Just make sure anything you post follows the forum guidelines.

Easy to carry... Lambsfoot in the front pocket and Shard in the coin pocket.

Last edited:
Too much work for pics, but I have those thumbnail size bottle openers and dual phillips/flathead driver bits that fit on a key ring. The openers are less than a buck everywhere on line. The bits are a little rarer. I have a bunch of dedicated pocket tools, but never carry them.

I have a little Leatherman gizmo with pliers, wire cutter, scissors, nail file/screwdriver and other small things, but I don’t carry it. I also have a key ring “multi-tool” but I don’t know where it is. I’m much more likely to carry a SAK Cadet along with a slip joint.

Had this one for a few months and it see's little work but still, it's nice to have when needed. The 3 things I've used it for is tightening a 1/4 wood screw that holds our flag bracket, beer cap removal (not stellar but effective) and just 20 minutes ago it pried the back off of my key fob for battery replacement. The ratchet drive actually works but I've yet to use for driving a phillips screw in:confused::)
kW4ieo.jpg

I always carry and constantly use my K’roo “Chunky Drunk”, (my name for it). It’s a slipjoint Caplifter/Prytool. Handiest little tool I’ve ever had!

I like to have options because with the exception of the Leatherman squirt and flashlight I don't carry the same knife / tools every single day.

I consider things like the Victorinox recruit cadet or tinker to be primary class knives, they're knives first and I carry them as such when I carry them.
The additional tools are a real bonus which means needing less other things to carry but the blade is definitely why I carry them.

Great thread idea John :) Here's some of mine, several were gifts from forum members :) :thumbsup:

MMerado.jpg

97KPzvE.jpg

I carried the Micra (thanks @Gevonovich ) in my coin pocket for a couple of years, and it's an incredibly useful tool for its size. Now I carry it in the small EDC pouch that goes in my bag every day, along with the Squirt (thanks also Gev :) ). The Victorinox tool and the P38 can-opener also live in that pouch. The pen has a ruler, spirit-level, and a couple of small screwdrivers. The Swisstech folding pliers live in one of my outdoor packs, and were a gift from my friend @herder , along with the NiteIze Doohickey, which is on my main key-chain (below).

OxyJNbi.jpg

I used to carry the CRKT tool with the seat-belt cutter on my key-chain, but having accidentally sliced through a camera strap (and nearly ruined a jacket) with it, it is now in my EDC kit (and taped)! I may replace it with the NexTool, but only got that the other day :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Since I quit carrying SAKs, I've tried a number of those things. The Shard is my favorite over the Squirt, those Swisstech folding pliers, and another I couldn't find, online or at home, that has a carabiner-type spring clip and a knife sharpening notch with carbide inserts. I think there were a couple more in there that didn't make enough of an impression to remember. The Shard, for me, is the right balance of tools and minimalism.

Pgm9etu.jpg

Because knives aren't prybars! I also carry a 4 inch crescent wrench, but its been MIA for about a week now:confused:

TEllA8x.jpg

I have one of those pry-bars too David :) Last week though, I found the smaller bar, which is a lot more pocket friendly (though less heavy-duty). A few other bits and pieces I carry and use, and I always have various fire options :D :thumbsup:

Back