Traditional Knives and Toys

zRyoIPr.jpg

Another left-over from my daughter's youth discovered in the basement this summer. These little creatures came in a plastic bucket; I think there are 3 or each of the 4 colors, so a dozen in a set. They remind me a little bit of tiddlywinks from my own youth, in that you press down to make them jump. If you push down on the section between the 2 cuts, on the "tail" of a creature, that compresses the back legs, tilts the rear so your finger slips off the back, and the creature jumps up and forward. I think there were rules for playing a game during which you tried to be the first player to get all 3 of your jumpers to jump into the bucket, but I don't remember the details. They're cool toys, but not nearly as cool as the knife and slip pictured!
tiddlyjumpers.jpeg

- GT

Another left-over from my daughter's youth discovered in the basement this summer. These little creatures came in a plastic bucket; I think there are 3 or each of the 4 colors, so a dozen in a set. They remind me a little bit of tiddlywinks from my own youth, in that you press down to make them jump. If you push down on the section between the 2 cuts, on the "tail" of a creature, that compresses the back legs, tilts the rear so your finger slips off the back, and the creature jumps up and forward. I think there were rules for playing a game during which you tried to be the first player to get all 3 of your jumpers to jump into the bucket, but I don't remember the details. They're cool toys, but not nearly as cool as the knife and slip pictured!
View attachment 1893238

- GT
I remember those Gary, one of my kids had them :D Cool pic :thumbsup:

I remember those Gary, one of my kids had them :D Cool pic :thumbsup:
That's an interesting international coincidence, Jack! ;):thumbsup::cool:
Did you play with them and develop a masterful technique? I never developed much skill with them.
Do you remember what they were called?

- GT

That's an interesting international coincidence, Jack! ;):thumbsup::cool:
Did you play with them and develop a masterful technique? I never developed much skill with them.
Do you remember what they were called?

- GT
LOL! :D I can remember playing the game at least once Gary, they spring a lot better than tiddly-winks :D I think they were supposed to be frogs, and you are right about the bucket :D The game was just called Jumping Frogs if I rememember correctly :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D I can remember playing the game at least once Gary, they spring a lot better than tiddly-winks :D I think they were supposed to be frogs, and you are right about the bucket :D The game was just called Jumping Frogs if I rememember correctly :) :thumbsup:
They DO spring much better than tiddly-winks, and you only need one of the frogs to jump, instead of a "shooter" and "shootee" with tiddly-winks. I apparently have neither memory nor imagination, since I didn't see those toys as frogs. But your memory is better than mine, Jack, and I appreciate the assistance - Jumping Frogs sounds right now that you suggest it. (And, once I had a term to search, I found many examples of "jumping frog" games online, although the frogs on all I found look more "frog like" than the toys in my daughter's game.)

- GT

They DO spring much better than tiddly-winks, and you only need one of the frogs to jump, instead of a "shooter" and "shootee" with tiddly-winks. I apparently have neither memory nor imagination, since I didn't see those toys as frogs. But your memory is better than mine, Jack, and I appreciate the assistance - Jumping Frogs sounds right now that you suggest it. (And, once I had a term to search, I found many examples of "jumping frog" games online, although the frogs on all I found look more "frog like" than the toys in my daughter's game.)

- GT
Thanks buddy, my memory is TERRIBLE, but since we're talking about something insignificant from decades ago, there was a chance I'd remember it! :rolleyes: ;)🤣:thumbsup:

I know what you mean, Jack. 🤓
I'm amazed by random bits of song lyrics and other trivia that come to me unbidden (and often unwanted).

- GT
Yes indeed! 😁👍

I posted this in another thread earlier this summer, but I thought I should post it here since it's currently one of my favorite games. I play a game called "Five Turn" in which I and the computer play a 5-turn Scrabble game in which we both play from the same rack to see who gets the highest score. I probably play at least 6 games per day. Good brain stimulation for me! 🤓 :thumbsup::thumbsup:
scrabble.express.jpeg

- GT

I posted this in another thread earlier this summer, but I thought I should post it here since it's currently one of my favorite games. I play a game called "Five Turn" in which I and the computer play a 5-turn Scrabble game in which we both play from the same rack to see who gets the highest score. I probably play at least 6 games per day. Good brain stimulation for me! 🤓 :thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 1893976

- GT
Good idea 🙂👍

This photo caused me to stop scrolling and ponder. Not sure if it is the child figurine or the innocence of the angelic child with hand folded and head bowed in prayer.
Thank you for posting this.

I brought my folks milkshakes on a hot day earlier this week, and my dad reminded me of this favorite childhood pocket knife activity which I had forgotten all about. Did anybody else make “duck calls” out of straws as a kid? I remember it worked with paper straws too, but they got mushy after a few quacks…

3hbjyIc.jpg

Back