traditional knives in movies

You're right I found this at the beginning of the thread (back in 2012!), but there's no picture.

There were a lot of no-photo posts early on in this thread. I supposed it’s easier now with more people streaming TV/movies (although I’ve found lately that services like Netflix and Hulu have made it more and more difficult to take a screenshot).

I happen to have the "Ultimate Indiana Jones Guide" (super nerdy, I know!) and it says that Indy carries "a stainless steel and nickel-silver folding knife, with a handle made of stag horn scales".

Hey, sometimes it pays to be nerdy! :D Thanks for the info! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I always enjoyed the "Magnus" episode of Gunsmoke where Chester's brother comes to visit. The bottom knife is a Barlow I believe that Magnus had tied to his boot in case the poker game turned violent. The rest of the pics are of the knife Chester gives to Magnus for Christmas. "The best knife in the world", says Magnus. Earlier in the episode Chester says he'll "just kill himself"if he's lost his knife."Best knife I ever had Mr Dillon"
fUmEvsN.jpg
kUAgOYo.jpg
tgQt8v1.jpg
XNelY6N.jpg

I always enjoyed the "Magnus" episode of Gunsmoke where Chester's brother comes to visit. The first knife is a Barlow I believe that Magnus had tied to his boot in case the poker game turned violent. The rest of the pics are of the knife Chester gives to Magnus for Christmas. "The best knife in the world", says Magnus. Earlier in the episode Chester says he'll "just kill himself"if he's lost his knife."Best knife I ever had Mr Dillon"
fUmEvsN.jpg
kUAgOYo.jpg
tgQt8v1.jpg
XNelY6N.jpg
N216l6p.jpg

Saw a Dadley in the hands of a psycho serial killer in the final episode of “Ratched”, a prequel outlining the early adventures of Nurse Ratched from “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. My impression was Dexter-Russell rather than Sheffield, but I wasn’t in a position to go back for another look or get a screen capture.

"Think that'd shave a haar?"
I love the sequence where Voit climbs the cliff all night with Reynolds's bow and arrows, and the pictures of his family dissolve and the crystal of his watch fogs over.

Some good additions to this thread lately! Nice work, everyone! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Saw a Dadley in the hands of a psycho serial killer in the final episode of “Ratched”, a prequel outlining the early adventures of Nurse Ratched from “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. My impression was Dexter-Russell rather than Sheffield, but I wasn’t in a position to go back for another look or get a screen capture.

I haven’t watched that yet, any good?

I did go ahead and grab a couple screenshots, though. This is the best look you get at the whole knife:

Mw9AvHM.png

Here's a slightly clearer shot, with part of the blade out of frame:

erErj6t.png

Have had this pic on my computer for 10yrs+ but cannot remember the film........possibly Sam Elliott with a 'small bowie' in The Quick and the Dead ....otherwise a later Western

I do believe that is The Quick and the Dead. Interestingly, it looks like Sam Elliott carried a similar stag Bowie (in the same over-the-shoulder fashion) a few years earlier in The Sacketts. (I haven’t seen that one, but came across it while confirming the other.)

ateKKVx.jpg

Some good additions to this thread lately! Nice work, everyone! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I haven’t watched that yet, any good?

I did go ahead and grab a couple screenshots, though. This is the best look you get at the whole knife:

Mw9AvHM.png

Here's a slightly clearer shot, with part of the blade out of frame:

erErj6t.png

I do believe that is The Quick and the Dead. Interestingly, it looks like Sam Elliott carried a similar stag Bowie (in the same over-the-shoulder fashion) a few years earlier in The Sacketts. (I haven’t seen that one, but came across it while confirming the other.)

ateKKVx.jpg

Thanks for posting those screen shots. I would not know how to go about doing that. From those pics, I will say it is probably a Sheffield Dadley. The handle shows no signof the stamped pattern on the Green River knife, and the “ jimping” or serrations look like a better fit for the Sheffield knife. Of course, it could be a totally different knife altogether, but then I would have nothing to compare it too. If your tool is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.

Ratched is kind of fun, but full of plausibility gaps. The sets are fantastic, especially the interior of the looney bin at Lucia.

Last edited:

I did just the same thing Barrett! I should just have scrolled down! :D :thumbsup:

2 weeks ago on TV, they replayed " The Last Of The Mohicans ", i had not seen it since it came out on the big screen in about 1992-3 i think. There is a scene where the Indian raiding party attack the Colonial troupe taking the colonels daughter and her friend to the fort, plenty of knife action there, one scene an Indian takes a scalp clean off with a huge " Bowie ".:eek:

This has probably been mentioned before, only just found this thread. Richard Widmark, playing Jim Bowie in the Alamo. He did have a knife, and knew how to use it.:):):)

......thank you kindly btb01 btb01 as I had never heard of The Sacketts previously - I am sadly running out of decent Westerns to watch that I so enjoy - they don't seem to make 'em anymore

I’ve never considered myself a connoisseur of the genre, necessarily, but I do enjoy them. Seems like there were a few decent “new” Westerns made 10 or 15 years ago, but not much since then.

Thanks for posting those screen shots. I would not know how to go about doing that. From those pics, I will say it is probably a Sheffield Dadley. The handle shows no signof the stamped pattern on the Green River knife, and the “ jimping” or serrations look like a better fit for the Sheffield knife. Of course, it could be a totally different knife altogether, but then I would have nothing to compare it too. If your tool is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.

Ratched is kind of fun, but full of plausibility gaps. The sets are fantastic, especially the interior of the looney bin at Lucia.

Because he tosses the knife from one hand to the other in that scene, I’d guess it’s a prop knife.

I did just the same thing Barrett! I should just have scrolled down! :D :thumbsup:

Great minds and all that. :D

60 years of Andy, Opie, Barney, Gomer, Aunt Bee, etc. Wonder if this is Ronnie Howard's knife or one from the prop department. I'm guessing either a 4" Trapper or Stockman based on the blade. OH
Andy-Opie-Taylor.jpg

Maybe something like this? (Ok, it’s probably not old enough, but it’s the knife that originally brought me to The Porch. :D)

p3pgNIg.jpg

Back