Traditional Knives & Slingshots

The 1,000 5mm steel balls I ordered arrived a couple weeks ago. (along with a second leather medieval style pouch to hold them.) πŸ˜πŸ‘
I wonder when ittle be warm enough to go out and lose some ... πŸ€”πŸ€¨
Been about as warm as inside a functional refrigerator (or un-warmer) for FAR too long, in my humble (potentially biased) opinion. 🀨 ☹️

I want to find out if 5mm or 9mm is "best" in my catapults. (excluding the "big" one with .25" ID tubes, and wrist/arm brace, and the Sheaperd's Sling. I R sure both are much too small for them.)

I "think" I should get some .445 to .550 lead balls for the "big" slingshot/ catapult, and some "Brown Bess" or larger lead balls for the Sheaperd's Sling ... πŸ€”πŸ˜ At $20 (+/-) for 100 .440 to .550, and same $$ for 50 musket balls ... it won't be anytime soon, however.
10 or 20 pounds smooth 1 ~1.5" land scaping pebbles is also an option for the sling. πŸ˜‡
LOL! :D Hope the weather warms up for you soon buddy, still waiting for Spring here too :rolleyes: I don't think you can buy lead balls here anymore, but I have nearly 1000 9/16" balls gathering dust! πŸ˜–
Two of my little friends are taking a break.View attachment 2557683 Found this little Kline rope knife in tool box waiting to be cleaned up and put back in service. The Seljan Slant Roller is a fun shooter. No six inch paper plate is safe for long. I enjoy both of these hobbies as they provide smiles and more.
Tom
Cool idea on the paper plates Tom :thumbsup: Your Klein is a nice find, r8shell r8shell gifted me one just like it :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, I bought the Kline new in the early 80's as a work knife for HVAC service trade.The backspring has grown a little soft. Still a nice little knife in the pocket. Sling shots are just plain fun. I buy the paper plates in packs of 100. Shoot about 10 times at each. Working my way up to 10,000 shots, currently about half way there. It's an easy way to keep count. Always enjoy seeing your lamb foot photos. Take care...
Tom

Last edited:
Thanks, I bought the Kline new in the early 80's as a work knife for HVAC service trade.The backspring has grown a little soft. Still a nice little knife in the pocket. Sling shots are just plain fun. I buy the paper plates in packs of 100. Shoot about 10 times at each. Working my way up to 10,000 shots, currently about half way there. It's an easy way to keep count. Always enjoy seeing your lamb foot photos. Take care...
Tom
You've certainly got your money's worth out of the Kline Tom :) If it's been a user, wear between the 'heel' of the tang, and the spring will inevitably cause the latter to go 'soft' over time, and maybe cause the tip to rise a little, (not such a problem with a Rope Knife obviously). Glad you're enjoying your sling shot, and, once again, that's a great idea about the plates. Thank you very much for the kind words :) :thumbsup:

Jack

I have nearly 1000 9/16" balls gathering dust! πŸ˜–
1,000?!? 🀯😳 must b nice. πŸ˜‡
9/16" might work well with the 1/4 inch ID tube slingshot/catapult I have.
9mm seems "too small"? 1/2" clay balls and glass marbles might be "too light" as well. πŸ€”πŸ€¨

I only have about 120 9mm (out of 145 when my last refill order arrived) left, so I "needed" to use the 1/2 inch clay balls more often, conserving the 9mm. The 5mm I can shoot more often ... if it ever warms up. 😑🀨

(I made a "oops" when I ordered the clay balls in 2021. TWO bags of 1500, not one. ☹️ Only have around 2,000 ~ 2,500 left.
Oh well ... I'll use them up eventually ... provided I "live" long enuf ... and shoot a slingshot more often (likely since my arrow stop quit stopping the arroes and got put in the dumpster) ... if not ... take them and the "big" slingshot/catapult "with me" (along with the sling and a couple archery bows n a supply of arrows, among other things) when I get planted, for use in the next life. πŸ˜‡)

1,000?!? 🀯😳 must b nice. πŸ˜‡
9/16" might work well with the 1/4 inch ID tube slingshot/catapult I have.
9mm seems "too small"? 1/2" clay balls and glass marbles might be "too light" as well. πŸ€”πŸ€¨

I only have about 120 9mm (out of 145 when my last refill order arrived) left, so I "needed" to use the 1/2 inch clay balls more often, conserving the 9mm. The 5mm I can shoot more often ... if it ever warms up. 😑🀨
I've only used a few of them Steve :D I don't why I bought them! πŸ˜– I get through a lot of clays, but I haven't been using much steel recently, mainly because I'm often with my mate's kids in semi-public areas. Every now and then, I buy some more plastic ammo from Wasp. I lose a few to the vacuum-cleaner, a few go to the place of all lost things, the Planet Biro, and I chip or break the odd one, but they are incredibly good value, if you have a catch-box :thumbsup:
(I made a "oops" when I ordered the clay balls in 2021. TWO bags of 1500, not one. ☹️ Only have around 2,000 ~ 2,500 left.
Oh well ... I'll use them up eventually ... provided I "live" long enuf ... and shoot a slingshot more often (likely since my arrow stop quit stopping the arroes and got put in the dumpster) ... if not ... take them and the "big" slingshot/catapult "with me" (along with the sling and a couple archery bows n a supply of arrows, among other things) when I get planted, for use in the next life. πŸ˜‡)
Should come in handy! :D You'll be King of the Hill! :D :thumbsup:

////sigh\\\\ I guess I "need" to retire my latest slingshot/catapult. πŸ€”β˜ΉοΈπŸ™„
Went out a little bit ago to try the 5mm steel balls. πŸ˜πŸ‘
6th shot, after hitting the foam block (not the small target on it) I noticed something was ... off ... when getting ready to reload.
IMG_20240424_101703.jpg

Band and "castration rings" to hold the band on salvaged. πŸ˜πŸ‘

I have not decided if I will try another one of these Resin jobs. πŸ€”

Knife is a 1930's to 1945 4 line (no date) tang stamp Camillus 33. πŸ₯°πŸ˜

////sigh\\\\ I guess I "need" to retire my latest slingshot/catapult. πŸ€”β˜ΉοΈπŸ™„
Went out a little bit ago to try the 5mm steel balls. πŸ˜πŸ‘
6th shot, after hitting the foam block (not the small target on it) I noticed something was ... off ... when getting ready to reload.
View attachment 2557956

Band and "castration rings" to hold the band on salvaged. πŸ˜πŸ‘

I have not decided if I will try another one of these Resin jobs. πŸ€”

Knife is a 1930's to 1945 4 line (no date) tang stamp Camillus 33. πŸ₯°πŸ˜
That's a very poor isn't it? πŸ™ Spoiled your plinking session too 🀨 Cool Camillus Steve πŸ‘

Back