Trail Master in O1 edge rolled

Hi all,
Awhile back my son presented me with a new Cold Steel Trail Master as a gift. I was very excited about the knife because first of all my dear son thought of me and spent his hard earned money to surprise his old dad with such a wonderful gift. But secondly it has the new O1 steel blade. Now I'm a machinist and tool maker of over 30 years and have years of experience working with tool steels. I have used and heat treated O1 for years and believe that it's a great steel for a knife blade. I'm also an avid backpacker and hammock camper and use my knives for camp chores and processing wood for a fire.
I had put the knife up wanting until my son could get a weekend free to camp with me. This passed weekend we when out together and took along the trail master for a test run. The weather was mild so we didn't need to process a lot of wood having only a small fire. After sawing up a few pieces of dead fall we decided to split some with the TM. The knife blasted thru the wood like a dream however, after just a few pieces I noticed some severe rolling of the edge starting at the tip and extending own the blade about 3 inches. I have since resharpened the blade removing the roll and brought it back to a shaving sharp edge.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced any rolling on their O1 TM.

Semo

I heard of people experiencing this with the O1 version. Sometimes when I company start using a new steel they fuck up the first few batches before they learn to handle the steel right so I'm guessing that is the problem here. You should contact cold steel and get a new one.

Or maybe just a bit of overstressed steel at the edge from factory sharpening?A couple sharpenings should get you back into stable steel.

When you say roll do you mean a burr formed or is it worse than that?

Dunno. I run with the San Mai III Trail Master. Never had that problem.

Last edited:
Back