training in baltimore, maryland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(note: this is a partial repost from prac/tact)

Hey, forumers.

I'm moving to Baltimore for graduate school, and I'm looking for beginning training in empty-hand and armed self-defense, preferably staying away from the classic FMA's.

I'm looking for a gentler start, with an emphasis on real-world use, such as (maybe?) Krav Maga or JKT. If possible (and to be relevent) I'd also like to get knives training. I have a little TKD experience.

Any suggestions in the area for a good school/program?

Thanks.

-Jon

I'll probably get heckled for this, but since you have some TKD background you already know how to punch and kick - so look for a Bujinkan ninjutsu school if you want to learn how to survive an attack. They aren't very public about their schools and you may have to flog the Internet to find one, but in a city as big as Baltimore there's bound to be one. They also build on your "sixth sense", intuition, gut feeling or whatever you'd call it, and it's something you can't practice alone but it works. I was a skeptic until I trained there a while, then suddenly it all just "clicked".

I lived in Baltimore........
Baltimore crime is rooted in poverty, drugs and gangs fighting over territory. Learn to avoid dangerous areas, which may not look like a dangerous areas.......
Treating everyone with respect and courtesy is important in ghetto cities like Baltimore.
Avoid outward signs of wealth expensive clothes or jewelry, don't pull out a large amount of cash. Use a credit or debit card.
Keep a balance. Don't be too aggressive or look or act like a victim.
Baltimore has a lot of illegal guns on the streets............
Forget knives or marshal arts......
Your safety will depend on your wits.

Not going to use any of my Power Cosmic to Time Travel and answer your questions.

Dude, why are these old threads popping up like weeds?

I'll probably get heckled for this, but since you have some TKD background you already know how to punch and kick - so look for a Bujinkan ninjutsu school if you want to learn how to survive an attack. They aren't very public about their schools and you may have to flog the Internet to find one, but in a city as big as Baltimore there's bound to be one. They also build on your "sixth sense", intuition, gut feeling or whatever you'd call it, and it's something you can't practice alone but it works. I was a skeptic until I trained there a while, then suddenly it all just "clicked".
Not sure if this message is gonna get through to him considering the post is 21 years old and the guy hasn’t been active in 10 years. How did you dig this up in GKD?

Not going to use any of my Power Cosmic to Time Travel and answer your questions.

Dude, why are these old threads popping up like weeds?
Usually new people failing to look at the original post date. Maybe it's because I've been here awhile but looking at the date something was posted is like second nature for me.

I've got a sneaking suspicion the OP found an answer to his question and situation in the 21 years between posts.

We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back