Translation?

I live in Virginia, and went to a swap meet today. one of the knife dealers told be that that my balisong was illegal as of last week! I tried to find information, but this is all that came up, its fromm the Code of Virginia.

§ 18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or
furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack,
brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be
thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like
weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be
prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-271; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1985, c. 394; 1988, c. 359.)

Does this mean that all of the things mentioned are illegal? Or just to sell them? And just what exactly is a "ballistic knife"?

looks like it is only illegal to sell. However "The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be
prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same" means that if you have it it can be assumed you are selling it. Doesn't look very good.

A ballistic knife is one that shoots the blade.

Might be illegal in the city where you live, but to the best of my knowledge, balisongs are not considered switchblades by the state of Virginia. You might want to check with Michael Dye of New Graham Knives; I recall reading a post from him on the subject (which, of course, I can't find now).

On a cautionary note, you should be aware that there is a case where the Virginia Court of Appeals held that a balisong was a "weapon of like kind" and thus a prohibited dirk or dagger for the purposes of the Virginia concealed weapons statute.

And as a final, side note, I've seen switchblades openly sold at every gun show I've been to since moving to Roanoke. :confused:

Check with you local DA's office. Odds are that if they are illegal to sell, then they are illegal to possess. (Though not necessarily.)

Also, being that many/most states prohibit the possession of knives with blade lengths typical of balisongs (4 to 5 inches seems to be the norm) the argument may be irrelevant, unless all you want to do is twirl it at home.

Back