transluscent arksnsa stone...can I use one without oil?

Just got one of these and wondering if I could use it without any honing oil. Will I clot it if I use it dry ?

Joe Leung

NO!
Use oil with them Joe . They clog quickly and stop cutting. There are several ways of cleaning them also. I use wd 40 or Mineral
spirits and a stiff brush to keep um cleaned out and cutting well. I have switched all of my stones to ceramic . With them I use synthetic cutting fluid. Its easy on the hands and I just keep a bucket of it mixed ready for use. Its also nice for the edm red brick stones for stoning blades . It dosent seem to clog at all.... just keep um wet ..
These ceramic stones are available at spyderco and other places . I think Mike Thurber sells them .. Or do a search on the net..
The edm stones are available at MSC or an industrial supply house..There for cleaning up die tools and dies..

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 10-10-98).]

I second the motion ob the EDM stones! I have used those things ever since a custom maker clued me in on them for finishing blades.

i use water with a little bit of dish detergent in it for all of my stones and EDM's.. Just keep um wet and scrub them when neccessary. I preffer the EDM stones because they are of a set grit, like a diamond or ceramic stone, and you can get them in a variety of sizes, plus they are cheap..
smile.gif

Alan Folts

Joe --

When it comes to arkansas stones, I've heard conflicting stories from people. Some, like Darrel, say that the stones clog quickly if used without oil. Others have told me that they don't use oil or water and the stone cuts better. Here's a suggestion: once you put oil on the stone, you'll have to use oil forever. So why not try using the stone without oil for a few weeks? Then, if you have clogging problems, you can switch to using oil knowing you at least tried the other method. Remember, this is your only chance, once you put oil on it you must continue using oil. Let us know what happens!

I've used lots of ceramic stones, especially the Spydercos. At first, as suggested, I used water on them. However, I stopped using water, and find they cut much better and quicker. Sure they eventually clog this way, but it takes literally 20 seconds with a brillo pad to get a ceramic stone completely clean. Overall, even factoring in the occasional cleaning, I've found that sharpening with dry ceramic stones is faster than using water on them.

As you can see, Darrel disagrees, and that's a pretty heavyweight opinion. Still, no harm in giving it a try -- it won't hurt the stones, and you may even love the results.

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

I have at least two dozen Arkansas stones ranging from an old Lily White Norton to some I've gotten directly from a quarry in Hot Springs and machined myself.I have done the experiment Joe spoke of.I took a black hard
stone that had never been used and put a
virgin Syryker on it dry.The stone will not
clog for some time because it removes so
little steel.Arkansas stones are just not
the right tool for todays SS that hovers
around RC 60.I don't care what grit you use
it takes to long.I put a carbon steel Boker
on the same stone and it cloged before one
side of the blade was done.The black stone
turned slick silver.I flipped it over ,oiled
the other side , finished the knife ,wiped
it off and it's still going.As much as I love