Trapper; Schatt & Morgan vs. Great Eastern Cutlery

I am looking for opinions on Trapper style knives; the Remington 1123/1128 type. I am considering either the Schatt & Morgan model or the Great Eastern Cutlery model. Any thoughts on either regarding overall quality, materials used, fit, finish, etc. Any comments would be most welcome as I am not able to physically look at either one in local stores, so I have to go by what I read a see on the web and here. Thanks in advance.

I believe that the Great Eastern offerings will be more robust and ready for hard use. (They offer their blades in 1095 carbon steel and 440C stainless.)

Bear in mind that many (if not most) of Great Eastern's knives have seriously strong backsprings. So if that is an issue for you, buy with caution. I like strong backsprings and the one example I examined up close was overkill.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either company as long as it has features and steel you like.

I can't comment on GEC because I don't own any, but I do own a S&M Swayback Trapper and IMO it's probably one of the best made production knives I own.

I only have a few negative comments.... I'm not a big fan of blade graphics and S&M almost always has them. Also the blades were not extremely sharp, but the grind was consistent and after a few swipes on a ceramic rod sharpened right up.

Most S&M knives are SS while GEC uses a combination of both SS & carbon steel.

Here's a pic of my S&M

DSC00087.jpg

+1 on JDP's comments. I have the same knife, and feel the same way about it. Great knife, despite the graphics, and what some would feel is an "inferior" steel (I don't, but then I don't expect to use my pocket knife to 'baton' through a tree branch).

The springs on these S&Ms are not for wimps, either.

No GEC for comparison here.

-- Sam

Thanks for the comments. Strong back springs don’t bother me, so far! Are The Schatt springs as stiff as the GEC variety?

I also don’t like blade graphics, but both have them. If they are to obnoxious, I can buff them out. Factory blade grinds are rarely to my liking, I will most likely take the time to put a convex edge on the knife once I have it. Still thinking about it, GEC’s have many handle choices, but the Schatt can be had with ATS-34 steel. I will let you know which I decide. Thank again.

Last edited:
For me the springs issue is a dead heat. It pretty much comes down to which steel you prefer, for me I went with the ATS-34 from the File & Wire line.

Dave

No comparison on the backsprings; GEC are much stiffer. Again, really depends on your steel requirements; but the Great Eastern is a workhorse whereas the Schatt has a smoother action.

Mike Latham
CollectorKnives.Net

Here are three of my Schatt & Morgan knives. The graphics add the look of an antique blade (if you like that style) and not something I would put to work as a hard use knife...
knifeimages005dj2.jpg

Here are three of my Schatt & Morgan knives. The graphics add the look of an antique blade (if you like that style) and not something I would put to work as a hard use knife...
knifeimages005dj2.jpg

Whats that bottom pattern? Gunstock?
I like it!

G.

Not put to use as a hard work knife?

The knives themselves?
Do you thinks S&Ms are lookers and will not stand hard use?

Last edited:
Not put to use as a hard work knife?

The knives themselves?
Do you thinks S&Ms are lookers and will not stand hard use?

No, I am saying for me these are nice knives to collect and for light use, but yes they will take hard use. For every day hard use I have Striders and SOGs that I beat on. I like to keep my S&Ms looking nice and have other knives that get scratched up...

Back