Travel Knives

What three knives would you choose for travel that wouldn't be horrible if they were confiscated from a search of your check-in baggage, ect.? In today's day and age a knife can be confiscated in other scenarios as well, I guess. Off the top of my head a good selection of a small utility, defensive and fixed blades might be:
1. Kershaw Vapor
2. CRKT M16-03Z
3. Cold Steel Kobun

I own all three of those blades, personally i would go with the M16-03Z. Or if you like fixed then the kobun wont let you down. Those are all top class low budget knives.

AnklePocket,

I'm not trying to kill your topic here, but I've had my checked baggage inspected at least 4 times that I can remember since 9/11. Basically, the person checking the luggage just looked at my knives (notice plural) when he came across them and then put them back.

I don't think anyone is going to confiscate your knives from your checked baggage; however, they might STEAL them :)

I usually have these three in my checked baggage:

Benchmade 705
Spyderco Mini-Dyad
Victorinox Classic

Oddly enough, it's the Classic I miss most on the plane.

Dean

I'm just paranoid - that's all. Or I might just be looking for an excuse to buy 3 more knives. So far my tentative wish list includes a CRKT Contrail and a Cold Steel Tanto. Still trying to finalize the defensive folder. The Kershaw Whisper would be a great one, but it's not yet out and might not be inexpensive.

I agree with RDaneel and MJHKNIVES. Theft is the big issue with checked bags and since the security upgrades that problem may be somewhat reduced. Maybe not.

My choices for travel varies. Before 9/11 my EDC was checked in and I carried a small Cold Steel Voyager in my backpack along with my '70's vintage Victorinox Champion SAK.

Nowadays I'd check through my EDC and the SAK along with an Opinel #8 or (since reading MJH's post) a cheap paring knife. Since I can't carry any knife aboard the plane, the Voyager is redundant to my BM940 EDC so I'd go for something cheaper that I don't mind gunking up with cheese and stuff. Opinel's are nice because they take a nice edge and don't raise eyebrows when you take them out to use them.

MJH's idea of a cheap paring knife is good. I've brought a couple back from trips after finding that I didn't want to gunk up the knives I brought with me. Chicago Cutlery makes nice cheap paring knives and one of them may start going with me, then I can leave the Opinel -- or take four.

Back