Travel rod section too thin, goes through

Dergyll

Gold Member
Sorry for the confusing title, but the situation is hard to describe haha.

I have a 5 piece okuma travel rod that I got on a whim and noticed that on the last section (the tip section), the connection part where you push into the previous section, is too thin. What happens is when I connect the tip section it will go way too far into the previous section.

I had the opposite happen a few times where the connector part is too thick, but that's alot easier to fix, I just lightly sanded the section down slightly and it fits nice and snug.

How the heck do I fix it when it's too thin? Any tip is appreciated, I'll take a picture when I get home. I was thinking maybe some kind of putty that I can apply and then sand down to fit?

I think you’re talking about a male/female ferrule set. If you check with a place that sells rod making supplies, they probably have ferrule sets in various sizes. If either of the new ferrule halves mates with either of the ones on your rod, you will only have to replace one part. Quick fix: squeeze the male part to make it slightly oval in cross section. That may tighten it up.

The first thing I would do is try to return it to wherever you bought it. If that doesn't work send an email to Okuma, mention your concern about safety if the piece should happen to slip loose and hit someone. If that doesn't work there are some very good epoxies on the market. It might be possible to add a layer then slowly shape until you get the fit you need.
I don't own any Okuma rods but know guys who do and I've never heard of them having any real issues.

Back