Traveling to Ireland

Traveling to Ireland soon. Can I pocket carry any of these, can they be carried in a backpack, or do they get left in the hotel room/luggage in the car?

SAK Fisherman
Leatherman Skeletool
Gerber Dime multitool

Thanks.

In the Republic you may legally carry slipjoints. ANY locking folder or fixed blade will have the Gardaí more excited than finding a Poteen operation or Provo arms cache. DON'T EVEN BRING ONE IN. Customs will confiscate any fixed or locking folder.

Last edited:
@Chris_Kavanaugh Are you really saying they would be confiscated by customs? Or just that you can't have them on you walking around the Republic? I was going to bring a 3.5" fixed blade camping knife and a Leathman Supertool. Not for EDC but in my pack to take camping, and in my camping equipment when I am bicycling in the country (but not on my body.) Surely that can't be a problem?

Legal carry are slipjoints. A multitool and any folder with a locking blade and any fixed knife is illegal to carry or possess in public. Them's the rules. I didn't make them up. My family kept leaving Ireland on account of shooting people from the Wild Geese who formed the San Patricios, the GPO in 1916 and on to my cousins in Belfast during the troubles. The governments brought to power by SMLE went overboard to prevent violence.

Back