Tri-ad lock question

Hello!

I'd like to get a Cold Steel folder with Tri-ad lock -- Recon 1 or Voyager or similar.

Also, recently I bought Spyderco Matriarch II, it's similar to Endura in lock design. This Spyderco with back lock design has a vertical play, when I press hard on blade, the blade moves a little back.

Before I used liner and Axis locks.

My concern is whether Tri-Ad lock also shows this kind of behaviour?

Thank you very much!

Nah i dont think you are gonna have this issue with Triad lock at all. Triad lock has a lot of space for the lockbar to wear in so it wont develop play unless the has totally worn in. I was able to get some vertical play for my recon 1 after batoning it hard, but after tighten the pivot screw the play is gone.

I'd like to clarify, there wasn't much wear or heavy work involved. It seems to be intrinsic to the lock type, just a small vertical play/giving to the blade.

Augostos the triad will be the most solid feeling lock you'll ever have. Try it you will not be disappointed. But as always, due to the longer travel it takes to depress and a stronger spring as compared to a normal back lock, depressing using your thumb knuckle is always recommended

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Hello!

I'd like to get a Cold Steel folder with Tri-ad lock -- Recon 1 or Voyager or similar.

Also, recently I bought Spyderco Matriarch II, it's similar to Endura in lock design. This Spyderco with back lock design has a vertical play, when I press hard on blade, the blade moves a little back.

Before I used liner and Axis locks.

My concern is whether Tri-Ad lock also shows this kind of behaviour?

Thank you very much!

Firstly.

The slight vertical play you experience with the Spyderco's are part due to it being FRN, steel lined and the screws having to go through those holes. There is some play there as the parts are not made to extreme tolerances.

Secondly.

Though many with the Tri-Ad lock do not experience that due to the Tri-Ad locks design my Amrican lawman though has some, minute play similar to that of my Spyderco's.

However, that slight play does not affect safety of the lock.

Hmm my voyager xl is rock solid though. Absolutely no play. Maybe your pivot loosened a tad?

EDC'd a Mini Lawman for years, and now have a Mini Recon 1...never had any blade play on either unless the locking bar didn't fully seat due to pocket lint.

Hmm my voyager xl is rock solid though. Absolutely no play. Maybe your pivot loosened a tad?

Adjusted the pivot last night with locktite. Still has that small amount of wiggle. Quite honestly, it does not bother me in the slightest.

posted while server issues were going on, sorry double tap.

Last edited:
i own over a dozen plus triads, none exhibit blade play up or down or side to side. i also own many dozens plus mid locks and back locks across all manufacturers, and all exhibit up and down blade play. some slight to almost non-existent, and others a lot. it's due to the lock back design and tolerances. the triad doesn't suffer from this. course blade play is one of those very personal things. some see lots of play when others see nothing and vice versa and everything in between.

EDC'd a Mini Lawman for years, and now have a Mini Recon 1...never had any blade play on either unless the locking bar didn't fully seat due to pocket lint.

I experienced the pocket lint phenomenon on my Tuff Lite. A few blows from a can of duster and it was fine again. I now usually blow out my edc knives every couple weeks as part of routine maintenance, so more issues in that regard. Other than that, I've had no play in any of my Tri-Ads thus far. :thumbup:

Back