Tried the D/E for months and still get a better shave with mach3

I am new to DE/wet shaving. I have been doing it for about 3 weeks now and really enjoy how close of a shave you can get with a good DE razor and feather/astra blades.

At first I started just WTG and usually a triple pass. This yielded less than stellar results and left a good amount of stubble for me. After the first week I started integrating XTG and finally ATG and now I can achieve a super close shave with more comfort than I have previously experienced with a mach 3 or other cartridge designed razor.

The only issues I have run into with this style of shaving is that it takes time and patience. Most of the time it adds about 15 minutes to do a good multipass shave. I can see the value of using both systems when I am in a real rush but I don't think I can go back to a cartridge style razor after this.

While, i don't know much about DE shaving. I picked up straight razor shaving, literally 7 or 8 shaves ago. Within about 4 shaves i was getting BBS with very little irritation. I usually suck at trying new things, so if i can get SR shaving down in about 2 weeks of shaving then you can get the DE shaving down for sure. Just stick with it!

Patience patience patience...and then practice times three. I used to nick myself frequently, now only when I'm not paying attention...the rest is technique. The results are worth all the time spent learning...and there's no going back!

I've always been a wet-shaver, but only went with a D/E a year or so ago. I get fine shaves (as I did with the Mach 3). I really like to do things the old-fashion way and I love the cost savings over paying through the nose for carts. I also enjoy the fact that I'm using a razor that was made about 80 years ago.

Now, I'm really wanting to get a straight razor. Just not sure that I can keep it sharp enough.

I tried DE and straights. They work fine, but I then found out that doing proper beard/skin prep allowed me to get BBS with a cartridge in 2 passes. The only issue with a Mach 3 is that not every cartridge works the same. For all the experimenting and practice for wet shaving suggested/required, applying care with a cartridge can also work with a hint of effort.

I don't know but I have been DE shaving for a week now, and my shaves aren't as close either. I hope this gets better the longer I go. I have an Edwin Jäger with feather blades. Even with two passes I'm not getting as close as the mach3. I have not shaved ATG yet, when I used to do that with the mach3 I got ingrown hairs bad. I am open to your collective shaving wisdom and thank you. Oh yes I only shave after shower.

Give it some more time to get use to DE shaving. I take it that you are only doing WTG passes right now, if so make your second pass XTG before adding an ATG pass. Think of it, you Mach 3 has 3 blades, so it is doing 3 passes in each stroke. I can get a decent shave in 2 passes, but to get that DFS to BBS shave I need to add the 3rd ATG pass.

I will give it some more time. You are correct only WTG for now, not sure I wouldn't scrape myself to death doing XTG or ATG at this point.

The only issues I have run into with this style of shaving is that it takes time and patience. Most of the time it adds about 15 minutes to do a good multipass shave. I can see the value of using both systems when I am in a real rush but I don't think I can go back to a cartridge style razor after this.

Yes, this is what I've experienced, as well. I find that if I rush a DE shave, my face suffers. I find this to be especially true if I rush my lather. My shaving technique is honed pretty well at this point, and my beard prep is adequate since I shave after a hot shower. So the lather-building is the critical moment of truth for me. f I build a crappy lather (usually because I'm running late) that is either too thick or too thin, then the final shave suffers by an order of magnitude. So whatever I do, I always try to take my time to build a good, slick lather. Then the hairs just glide off and the skin is left smooth and irritation-free.

Well, the other day I was in a rush. No brush lather, just L'Occitaine brushless shaving cream, a 2nd shave Feather. The whole thing done in three minutes. No blood no nicks or soreness, but obviously not as close as doing it 'properly' but still very OK.

I do not know anyone who can't get a better shave (closer, less irritating, and cleaner) with a DE.
Well, now you know one person, me. I've been shaving for almost 40 years, and for my face, the Mach 3 shaves closer, smoother, with less irritation than anything else. And yes, I guarantee you I've tried them all.

I usually use a DE when getting ready for work, as time is an issue. On weekends, I break out my straight razors. With patience, I can get BBS smooth shaves with both, no problem. But it takes a lot longer, and usually doesn't come out nearly as smooth and close as my Mach 3, which I use when flying (for obvious reasons).

For those who don't get good results with it, I believe you. Everyone's face is different. I shave with the DE because it's good enough, and very cheap. I use straights because I've always been fascinated by them, and just love using them. But they don't come close to the Mach 3 on my face, and that's ok. I still use them.

Well, now you know one person, me. I've been shaving for almost 40 years, and for my face, the Mach 3 shaves closer, smoother, with less irritation than anything else. And yes, I guarantee you I've tried them all.

I usually use a DE when getting ready for work, as time is an issue. On weekends, I break out my straight razors. With patience, I can get BBS smooth shaves with both, no problem. But it takes a lot longer, and usually doesn't come out nearly as smooth and close as my Mach 3, which I use when flying (for obvious reasons).

For those who don't get good results with it, I believe you. Everyone's face is different. I shave with the DE because it's good enough, and very cheap. I use straights because I've always been fascinated by them, and just love using them. But they don't come close to the Mach 3 on my face, and that's ok. I still use them.

Well, you seem very confident in that, so I am sure you will continue to enjoy the Mach3.

I think he said he uses the Mock when traveling and usually uses a DE and strait at home. I personally hated the 3 blade carts and that is what put me on the look for something else. I get great DE shaves but, truth be told the cost is the real reason I wet shave. 100 blades $8.50, 15 sticks of Arko $21, and that should last 2 years. Oh yes, the new razor I got $60 ish and I"m still ahead. Even better If I counted the last 3 years a free razor I got and 200 Derby blades for something like $10.

I think he said he uses the Mock when traveling and usually uses a DE and strait at home. I personally hated the 3 blade carts and that is what put me on the look for something else. I get great DE shaves but, truth be told the cost is the real reason I wet shave. 100 blades $8.50, 15 sticks of Arko $21, and that should last 2 years. Oh yes, the new razor I got $60 ish and I"m still ahead. Even better If I counted the last 3 years a free razor I got and 200 Derby blades for something like $10.
Yeah, for me, that is really the best part. (Good one on the Mock :D) The shave is fine (not the best for me, but it works), but I only need to get at least 2 or 3 shaves out of a blade, and I'm waaaaay ahead. As are the rest of you.

Again, if it works best for you, keep it up! It's very inexpensive, and there's something about the older ways that I suspect a lot of us like. Nothing wrong with that.

I finally got replacement M3 cartridges for traveling (at Costco), cost me more than 5 years worth of DE shaving. They are smooth for me, but at that price, I save them for traveling.

It's interesting to me that so many folks switched to DE to save money. On the dedicated shaving forums, most folks who switch to DE quickly develop an AD and end up spending hundreds (in some cases thousands) of dollars on creams, soaps, razors, after shaves, etc. I personally didn't make the switch to save money (although I have saved a ton of money because I use the same product daily and didn't develop an AD). I switched to DE because I couldn't get a close shave with the Mach3. If I even tried the ATG, I'd cut myself. I now realize that that was mostly because of bad beard-prep and bad lather from the horrible "green goo in a can."

I'll bet I'd get a decent shave now with a Mach3 if I used it with a proper beard-prep and good lather from a quality cream/soap. But I see no need to buy any more of those expensive cartridges. When I travel, I just pack the brush, soap, and razor.

I switched because the multi bladed razors made me hate shaving. Even with proper prep I would get horrible ingrown hairs on my neck. Thing is I my job required me to be in the public eye and represent my employer. That meant clean shaved or a neatly beard. I don't like having a beard so I had to find a way to shave that didn't hurt. It started off with just switching from canned goo to good soap and a brush, it helped a bit, but not enough. I then stumbled into this sub forum and with a little encouragement made the move to DE and haven't looked back since.

I did suffer a little bit from the ADs that go with traditional wet shaving, but I got it under control and never have more than 20 razors at a time. If I go over that I have to give some away to get back under the 20 razor limit. I was given an Ever Ready 1914 for Christmas, but I haven't tried it yet because I don't have blades for it. I will be ordering some when I make my next blade order in a few weeks. There are also a couple of soaps I feel I have to try.

Back