Trifecta of Traditionals

Even though I carry my Micarta 85 nearly every work day and I just received the Boker today, I think these are my three favorites.

GM7I4yK.jpg

View attachment 1566216

Three Farm & Field in formal black. I know folks love to hate on the Calf Pen – because weird and pokey – but I genuinely love it as much as the 71. And I’ve only closed a blade on the bail twice.
What is the complaint about the calf pens? I don't own one and have never had a chance to check one out, but they seem like fantastic users. Hoping to add an orange delrin one to my collection.

What is the complaint about the calf pens? I don't own one and have never had a chance to check one out, but they seem like fantastic users. Hoping to add an orange delrin one to my collection.

If memory serves, the Calf Pen's reception on 'Let's Talk GEC' was fairly coolish. It was a new design that honestly didn't look very flattering in the mock-ups. Beyond just the looks, people took umbrage to the sharp/rough ends when closed. The catch on the one-arm-open blade is sharp-ish at one end and the the flathead driver is rough-ish at the other end. So, that might do a number on your trouser pocket. Also, you have to make sure the bail is flipped away from the blade well when closing or the blades will hit it.

I think that covers the main complaints. And they're valid sticking points, but I absolutely love the knife anyway. It's built like a tank, I'm partial to the strong snaps, and I'm not afraid to put it to some hard use.

If memory serves, the Calf Pen's reception on 'Let's Talk GEC' was fairly coolish. It was a new design that honestly didn't look very flattering in the mock-ups. Beyond just the looks, people took umbrage to the sharp/rough ends when closed. The catch on the one-arm-open blade is sharp-ish at one end and the the flathead driver is rough-ish at the other end. So, that might do a number on your trouser pocket. Also, you have to make sure the bail is flipped away from the blade well when closing or the blades will hit it.

I think that covers the main complaints. And they're valid sticking points, but I absolutely love the knife anyway. It's built like a tank, I'm partial to the strong snaps, and I'm not afraid to put it to some hard use.
Thanks for the info!

Back