Trip to the Galapagos Islands

A friend of mine is taking a trip to the Galapagos Islands. Has anyone from here been there and do you have any suggestions on what to bring? She will be bringing my Swiss Army multitool, a Streamlight Polymer flashlight (AA batters), Ultra Infinity, Photon II, binoculars, rain coat, whistle, and signal mirror. She is limited to 44lbs of luggage and her pack alreay weighs 6 pounds. So as of now the limit will 38 pounds.

This may not apply to your friend and her trip, but I go to Costa Rica a lot (my wife's from there) and I always bring my short machette (that I bought down there) for opening coconuts. There's always lots of coconuts, but they're real hard to open without a machette.

Andrew Lynch, you're right about the cats, although goats are actually becoming more of a problem. When I was there in '99 they actually had specially selected people who were sent out as goat snipers to some of the islands. Machetes aren't much use in the Galapagos since you're not allowed on land without a certified guide, who take offense to the hacking of the local flora and fauna, also there isn't much other than scrub and a few small trees on many of the islands, at least in the Southern Islands. I wasn't in the Northern Islands they may have different vegetation.

Mark123 your friend should find out about Anti - Malarials, I know we had to take them, but that maybe only because we passed through Guayaquil on the way out, which is in a malarial zone. If she does have to take them I recommend the tetracycline based ones, they're cheaper and the Mefloquine types can cause hallucinogenic dreams/nightmares (They call them 'vivid dreams'. I would recommend a good canteen, and either iodine pills or a purifier. Most water provided by tour groups is probably safe, but it's cheap insurance. Others have already suggested a good camera, I would add that good binoculars and a small first aid kit might not hurt, as would any American types snacks which she might miss such as Granola bars etc...
A good headlight or minimaglite might be a good idea too. Some of the islands have awesome lava tubes that the guides will take you into.

Hope that helps a little, sorry for the long post. I'm jealous, I would go back in a heartbeat if I had the time and money.
Lagarto

Lagarto,

Thanks for info. I will pass your post onto her. I think she has a pharmacist or doctor friend who is setting her up with antibiotics.

Note on drugs reminded me of something I have posted before.....figure with summer travel season comming, it might be worth mentioning:

I always carry a personal supply necessary drugs: stomach, pain meds and so on.... over the years, that list has gotten longer, but that's another story. Anyway, on one trip a traveler I met suggested that I leave my meds with a local clinic at the end of my trip. Never thought of it before, but it turned out to be a worthwhile suggestion and one I want to pass on.

Your perscription and over-the counter meds can make a real differance. There are clinics all over Latin America that serve the poorest and really need anything they can get. Finding them is easy: ask the local priest or any ex-pat you meet. Just make sure that the stuff is really going to a clinic - not a private doc who will charge patients.

Hey, a bit of good karma, right?

Originally posted by Eager
This may not apply to your friend and her trip, but I go to Costa Rica a lot (my wife's from there) and I always bring my short machette (that I bought down there) for opening coconuts. There's always lots of coconuts, but they're real hard to open without a machette.

I was at a work get together and a Samoan showd us how the "natives" open a coconut. A stick and a small rock.

He used the stick to peel the husk of down to the shell, and then a small rock/stone in hs hande to hit the "sweet spot" and it just split into halfs neat as can be. Are their different types of coconuts?

My only problem with this? He showd me how to find the spot to hit, but it's been several years and I can't remember exactly where it is.

I (and probably many islanders) got a laugh one evening flipping channels - saw a few minutes of Survivor. They brok a blade trying to open a coconut...

Back