Trisul question -I swear, I'm not overcompensating!

Shorttime

Gold Member
Okay, well, maybe I am.

Howdy, H.I. folks!

I don't post much outside of General Knife, but I come over here to lurk on an almost daily basis.

Mostly, I've been hoping one of the Seaxes comes around when I have the money.

And, as usually happens, the more I lurk, the more I like.

Especially Trisuls. Mmmm-hmmm.

I would guess from looking at it that the Trisul is H.I.'s take on a "fighting knife", in the more Western sense of the phrase.

So, what is the longest Trisul Himalayan Imports produces?

Or, what is the longest (blade length) anybody has seen for sale (because I'm sure Yangdu would be happy to set me up with a 30" blade custom Trisul, but I'm not ready for that sort of commitment, yet...).

Thanks in advance, everybody!

GIANT TRISUL BY YUVRAJ

Overall length --18''
Weight --22 oz
Spine thickness --5/16''
Dark color satisal wood handle
Standard leather sheath
Price $198.

The biggest to date was the Giant Trisul, specs above. Remember the length is overall length, so the blade is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 - 14". I believe Petros600 has one.

My Giant Trisul by Yuvraj from the 7/17 deals was listed as being 18 1/2" and 26 ounces, but is actually 18 1/4" and weighs 28.4 ounces, with a 5/16" spine.

The blade is 12 3/8" from the tip to the start of the wood handle. The sharpened edge part of the blade is about 11"

I would guess from looking at it that the Trisul is H.I.'s take on a "fighting knife", in the more Western sense of the phrase.

It's a fairly heavy knife especially in its longest forms. I'm no expert in the matter but I suspect it wouldn't be the kind of blade for a western "fighter" would pick.

It's a fairly heavy knife especially in its longest forms. I'm no expert in the matter but I suspect it wouldn't be the kind of blade a western "fighter" would pick.

Last edited:
It's a fairly heavy knife especially in its longest forms. I'm no expert in the matter but I suspect it wouldn't be the kind of blade for a western "fighter" would pick.

Snow is correct. I have the 12", and it is very fast, that you can use in a CQ scenario, I've handled the 14", and it is a little more forward heavy, and not as agile, I would suspect the 18" to be more of an intimidation weapon, and "show" piece, rather than an effective dagger-type weapon.

Snow is correct. I have the 12", and it is very fast, that you can use in a CQ scenario, I've handled the 14", and it is a little more forward heavy, and not as agile, I would suspect the 18" to be more of an intimidation weapon, and "show" piece, rather than an effective dagger-type weapon.

Thank you both. I hadn't reckoned on the weight of HI products!

I hasten to add that I'm absolutely not trying to start any kind of "knives and SD" debate! This is not the place for that, for one thing. :eek:

Thank you, everybody for the quick education! Much appreciated.

Thank you both. I hadn't reckoned on the weight of HI products!

No worries. Just to keep perspective, most spines on the HI products in a very general sense, are 5/16" or larger, up to and past a 1/2". That makes for a very substantial blade, and sometimes can get heavy. The amazing thing is that the very skilled kamis can make a blade very substantial, but somehow make the weight distribution such as, that the blade feels lighter than it should.

HI blades are very tough, and if used properly, will most probably outlive most of their owners.

My Trisul is 12 1/8 inches 5/16 inch thick with the sharpened part of the blade 6 1/2 inches and the blade from the front of the grip to tip is about 8 1/8 inches. The balance point is right in between the front of the grip and the start of the sharp edge on the blade so balance is definately perfect. I don't have a scale so don't know the weight but it is easy to use and doesn't seem to be overly heavy for all the katas I have used it for.

I have to disagree with you about the Giant Trisul. In practicing with it with sinawali and carenza excercises, I find to be fast enough for its size and weight. Very well balanced too. I will agree that it pretty intimadting looking too. it is a fine fighter.

I have to disagree with you about the Giant Trisul. In practicing with it with sinawali and carenza excercises, I find to be fast enough for its size and weight. Very well balanced too. I will agree that it pretty intimadting looking too. it is a fine fighter.

It may work better with different techniques and styles, me personally, I found the the 14" to be a little cumbersome and suspected the larger model to be as well, of course, I hadn't handled one either.

Good to hear that it's effective.

Anyone have a pic, I searched the HI website and didn't see it, I thought the trisul/trishul was the Hindu ritual/symbolic trident, not a knife.

Back