Trouble with handle fasteners

It's not really an issue but the fasteners on my GSO's tends to loosen up from chopping or batoning. I've resolved it by putting Loctite. it just reminds of becker handle screws which was quite of an annoyance when it gets loose.

Ellie, May I suggest to tighten the screw tolerances so it won't get loosen as much from use? Thanks.

Impressive, the bolts on my GSO's were all VERY tight even after heavy use, I had to crank hard on the driver to get them off to swap around or add liners. You should be able to tighten them sufficiently to not require loctite. Unlike plastic becker scales, the micarta won't easily deform or crack to allow the bolts to loosen up. Were the screw-heads aligned when you got the knife? ;)

Impressive, the bolts on my GSO's were all VERY tight even after heavy use, I had to crank hard on the driver to get them off to swap around or add liners. You should be able to tighten them sufficiently to not require loctite. Unlike plastic becker scales, the micarta won't easily deform or crack to allow the bolts to loosen up. Were the screw-heads aligned when you got the knife? ;)

yeah they were aligned. I should have been more specific. I've only experienced that on my GSO 10 and 5.1.

I saw your review on the SK-4 and didn't you mention that one of the screws had loosen up from throwing it multiple times?

It's not really an issue but the fasteners on my GSO's tends to loosen up from chopping or batoning. I've resolved it by putting Loctite. it just reminds of becker handle screws which was quite of an annoyance when it gets loose.

Ellie, May I suggest to tighten the screw tolerances so it won't get loosen as much from use? Thanks.

The current tolerances for our fasteners are pretty tight. When we are building the knives, if there is any sort of dust in the way they get stopped up and need to be cleaned. The issue you're experiencing is more likely due to the fasteners not being tightened down as much. We usually get the fasteners tight-ish before lining up the screws, and then finish with a final torque on the back side fasteners. It is possible whoever was building that day missed the final tightening step, or simply had a different idea of what tight is. I will be sure to mention it to the team.

We did discuss using loctite here in the workshop but decided against it so the handles could be removed without too much struggle.

yeah they were aligned. I should have been more specific. I've only experienced that on my GSO 10 and 5.1.

I saw your review on the SK-4 and didn't you mention that one of the screws had loosen up from throwing it multiple times?

Yes, definitely loosened the screws on that SK-4 :cool: Took a LOT of poor impacts to do it :eek:

I have a video of throwing the Swamp Rat Rodent 9, poor impacts shifted the scales slightly against the brass tubes so they are no longer flush with the tang. I'll eventually send that one back to the swamp for a fix-up wen something else gets horribly damaged on it (i.e. maybe never).

I switched the scales around on my GSO-10 when I first received it (I'd ordered a couple so I could swap scales around as desired, kept the one I liked best), really had to crank to get the bolts loose. When i reapplied the scales, I didn't tighten it nearly as much because I managed to loosen them after a year or so of heavy chopping and beating (haven't thrown that one yet). When I mentioned the loose scales to Guy, he was shocked until I explained that I'd loosened them myself. Now that I've added liners, I doubt they'll spring loose again, the rubber maintaining the tension like a gasket.

As Ellie confirmed, the tolerances themselves are pretty tight. A dirty bolt won't make it down the channel when I've tried. :thumbup:

do me a favor and edit out that name. I use the handle chiral.grolim here on BF.

Back