Tru-Oil vs. tung oil

Yep - I prefer Tru Oil. I use it, and Formby's High Gloss Tung Oil, but the Tru Oil is easier, over all, in application and dries faster (usually) speeding up the multiple layer process. Formby's is equal in final finish, but is formulated a bit differently. Tru Oil is formulated for appication by hand on gunstocks and pistol grips. Formby's is for furniture. The penetrants and other additives make them the best I have found for finishing knife handles, stocks, gips and canes. There are many other good tung oil preparations that I have seen reports on, but have not used. These two fall into the "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" category.

What about Formby's Lemon Oil treatment? Is it any good? That's all I have on hand and would like to try it.

Pat

Pat -
I honestly don't know. I've never used it on stocks/handles/grips. On furniture, it will brighten and light up the woodgrain but I don't know how it would stand up to handling - whether it would dull, or wear off quickly. It has been used as a fine furniture preservative for years, and started showing up in commercial products (Lemon Pledge, etc., etc.) about twenty years ago. The "old" lemon oil (which I think Formby's would be close to) was considered the ultimate in fine wood furniture care. For woods that are to be handled, there needs to be a hardened finish to keep out skin oils and salt from sweat. Might be interesting to clean sand a handle, light it up with lemon oil, and then put a hard oil finish over it, if the finishing oil was compatible.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
The dust bunnies dislike any oil of any kind.

Makes 'em all gummy, so they stick to the bottom of the mattress :rolleyes:

Hee! Hee!:p
A gummy dust bunny is a Pi$$ed dust bunny. Uncle Bills are hyper-evolved anyway. I wouldn't stick my hand anywhere near them!:eek:

A gummy dust bunny is a Pi$$ed dust bunny. Uncle Bills are hyper-evolved anyway. I wouldn't stick my hand anywhere near them!

Me either! But I don't think they're "hyper-evolved" they're just GORKHA DUST BUNNIES, that stowed-away in Uncle's luggage when he left Nepal:D And like Gorkhas, you don't want to try and mess with their khukuris:eek:

The dust bunnies dislike any oil of any kind.

Hey, has anyone tried Carrot Juice on their handles?;) :D This might be tolerated, heck even celebrated by the dust bunnies. Of course you might end up with bright orange handles, which would be nice for deer season;) :D

We better be careful what we say about the dust bunnies. I hear nasty rumblings and as we all know they can multiply near warp speed.

Back