Pre Order Trusty Preorder: CPK Basic 5/FK3 Sheaths

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Howdy folks!

The time has come to start planning a new batch of sheaths, and this time it will be for the Basic 5/FK3.

I finished the prototype today. Unfortunately I ended up making a left handed sheath, but the right handed version will be pretty much the same- only in reverse.

This trusty preorder will close at 20 sheaths. It's unlikely that 20 or you will claim one, but I won't be making more than 20.

These sheaths will cost $175 plus $30 shipping. Payment via Paypal G&S invoicing. Your sheath will be mailed to you once complete, via Canada Post Expedited Parcel.

If you have a special request, ie; left handed, or dyed leather, please make note of that in your post. Dyeing your sheath will cost you an extra $15, but I won't charge you extra just because you're left handed. Life is already tough enough for you left handed folks.

All sheaths will be hot packed, and feature a removable belt loop, held together via 304 stainless steel Chicago screws. Additionally, the safety strap can also be removed from the belt loop independently if you choose.

The sheath will look similar, (not exactly the same) as the sheath pictured below;

dzV75z8.jpg

V2ABowL.jpg

gtURP2O.jpg

Ds8bgGp.jpg

Cheers, and thanks so much for taking an interest in my work!
:)

Last edited:
a proof of concept sheath;
TAJ1Xaw.jpg

this is NOT what one of the finished sheaths will look like- but gives the gist on where I'm headed with this project. This one is unwaxed/unfinished.

I used an old belt buckle for the loop. I've ordered different loops, which showed up yesterday, which are much smaller and they are burly and nice looking.

The belt loop for this sheath will be removable

I experimented with a new to me stitching method that looks really cool and should be as durable as the standard method. Jury's out on it at this point, but I'm going to use it when I build a pre production prototype

^ Thanks for the POC photo Lorien Lorien . The sheath has the lean shape that is your signature style.

I am not sure about the new stitching pattern. My fear is that it leaves a lot more thread exposed on the outside that may be more prone to being cut or frayed when bushwhacking in the denser areas. What do you see as the advantages to this thread pattern other than looks?

Phil

^ Thanks for the POC photo Lorien Lorien . The sheath has the lean shape that is your signature style.

I am not sure about the new stitching pattern. My fear is that it leaves a lot more thread exposed on the outside that may be more prone to being cut or frayed when bushwhacking in the denser areas. What do you see as the advantages to this thread pattern other than looks?

Phil
that's my concern as well, and my potential solution is to have a deep enough gouge to protect the threads. Fortunately, the hole spacing is the same so I can mess around a bit without having to change anything else. In my view, this method is still more ultimately reliable and repairable than a machine lock stitch

that's my concern as well, and my potential solution is to have a deep enough gouge to protect the threads. Fortunately, the hole spacing is the same so I can mess around a bit without having to change anything else. In my view, this method is still more ultimately reliable and repairable than a machine lock stitch

Always creative! I'm curious to see how that stitch comes out on the prototype as well.

I ordered some loops which just showed up
eUrt3Qo.jpg

I'll use one for the prototype, see how I like it and get some feedback from all y'all, but I have another idea which would be pretty neat if the tolerances are right
I do like the glossy gunmetal finish, and they seem stout enough. Perfect size, too- took awhile to find them

ok, now that I've gotten my bench a little cleared up, I've started designing this sheath in earnest.
I'm going to nix the holes in the welt, and I've made the sheath a little deeper so that the knife is more balanced and hangs better.
Stay tuned for further updates in the weeks ahead...

Hi all, just added some new pics and stuff to the OP

I’m in! Left handed please.
I have a left handed prototype available right now if you're interested. I cut my pattern out backward, lol!

Also, it looks like I'll have a pre production prototype to show within the next couple weeks...

finally finalizing the pattern for this sheath, this is some 4-5oz leather- much lighter weight that the finished product will be- and I'm getting close. Should be getting a batch of these going in about a month or so. Kind of, more or less on schedule
vLcxSVS.jpg

hcGa0Ie.jpg

tacos for your talk holes!

Back