Try kitchen Honing steel rod for your pocket knives guys..it works awesome

While i m still improving my knife sharpening skills to the point that they are hair shaving sharp, i realized why not try my honing steel on CPM 20CV supersteel knife? BM Griptilian.

i was getting jagged edges while slicing paper but i did not want to resharpen it yet.

and voila!....after few swipes on honing steel, its back to slicing like nobody's business.

i thought it might not work on supersteel blades but it does as they are much harder than kitchen knife steels...but it restores the alignment nicely.

next time your knife is not slicing or cutting properly..just try honing steel instead of resharpening it on a stone and thereby losing some steel.

i bought a $12 ja henckels honing steel on amazon and it works amazing:
WU-4473.jpg

For best results, use a high quality steel. Ideally the blade will be softer than the steel. For conventional steels, Friedrich Dick is the top of the line. Outdoor Edge has a little alumina ceramic steel, complete with ridges, that should do well on hard blades.

I also find it useful to steel my pocket knives in between sharpening, though mine are typically a softer steel that responds very well to steeling.

I've read about the old Hand American borosilicate glass "steels". I made a few of my own, and they work really good at maintaining what you have on a highly finished edge. Not great for an everyday use edge, strop is much better for me; but for a highly polished edge, and especially for kitchen knifes, these work great and really cheap.

Modern, cheaper, "everyday", steels are chrome plated for hardness, which wears off and isn't that good. Older, often smoother steels are just very hard and are much better. They work very well for me on the likes of carbon steel. I use them for burr removal.

I don't have a lot of experience with them on harder, more brittle stainless. 440C, D2, etc., I usually strop. They do seem (to me) to work well on 12c27. Not sure on 8cr13mov.

I picked up one of those 2 buck ceramic rods they work great. You can even get a working edge with them pretty fast if that is all you have to sharpen with. No one really needs hair shaving sharp but we want it!

I don't have a steel in the house but I use the spine of another knife sometimes.

Back