Trying to identify Ek knife I bought

I got an EK boot knife with micarta handles off of ebay. Very happy with the look and feel of it but some aspects seem a little odd. The handle slabs are not attached in the usual manner, the sheath doesn't match any of the production Eks I can find, and there is no factory origin marked on the blade or the sheath other than the Ek 1941 logo.

ek01.JPG

I can't place this based on Blackjack sites I've seen like www.wam1597.net, my best guess is it's a 1-off, like a second or a prototype. I can tell you from the material, the overall construction, and the finishing on the edge that this is not a cheap copy or a counterfeit. I didn't see "Made in Pakistan" anywhere ;). The grinding is not 100% even and there are spots here and there that were never finished so I have my doubts this was a commercially available Blackjack production.

It looks a bit like the model 7 out of Richmond, VA listed here: http://www.wam1597.net/ek_-_richmond.htm but the blade finish, handles, and sheath are all different.

Any ideas? I'll post a better pic when I get a chance.

Your guess is as good as mine. The seller did not have the original packaging and said his guess was either Blackjack or EK produced in Richmond VA but that it was only a guess.

I assumed it was a Blackjack design, but after looking at it I'm not so sure.

It's a Blackjack Ek, They originally came out during desert storm. They made some with tan paracord wrapped handles. the micarta was later. The handle doesn't look like traditional micarta because it's paper based and bead blasted at the same time as the blade. I have seen them with several differnt types of sheaths. Nylon webbing, dark brown leather with a boot belt clip and like the one you have. In the end at blackjack they were shipping product with what ever they had on hand. Often different sheaths from standard production, Blackjack product in Ek packaging. The uneven grind is standard for late production Ek's, the quality dropped sharply.
Some Ek and Blackjack product was being made after Blackjack closed its doors. Mike Stewart had aquired all the unfinished product and was finishing it up and selling it on his own. Stewart changed the Ek logo, He made it smaller and it no longer said made in Effingham Il on the blade. Ek and Blackjack prototypes are clearly marked as such. I don't know what sort of numbers they were produced in but probably a dozen or so.

When Blackjack was first going broke I remember a flood of Ek product real cheap. I got one of the full sized daggers for $30 bucks. I kick myself for not getting the full double edged.

Drew

Edited to add:
I think the model number of your knife was pbk-7 or pb-7 If there is a bark river forum on BFC you can send your pics to Mike Stewart. I know there is a bark river forum on KFC and Mike takes questions all the time.

I got one but my finish is cleaner. I will try and post an old pic of it.

S/F,
CEYA!
Ceya Knife Designz

I've seen a number of these knives, but all of those I've seen had cord-wrapped handles.

Wow, thanks Drew that's a ton of info. I knew I'd find some knowledgeable folks. I've been a fan of the Ek designs since the Blackjack days but this is the first one I've purchased.

You're dead on with the handle material, it's a nice feeling micarta with an interesting feel and a subdued look to it from the bead blasting, it looks like it should be slippery but it's not. They might have been on to something there although it doesn't look as cool as the grooved micarta slabs that are more typical of the Ek designs form what I've seen.

It's an interesting knife, doesn't look like much but I wouldn't hesitate to strap it to a LBE vest (albeit with a different sheath). Everything a hideout knife should be.

Back