TSA confiscated SAKs were plentiful at the Gun Show...

So, as I perused the Gun Show on Sat & Sun, I noticed one gentleman had a big bin of what seemed like an endless amount of used red Swiss Army Knives. I just had to ask him how he wound up with so many. He told me that they were knives that TSA confiscated. I did not follow up with how he wound up with them, but it sure looks like somebody is selling them! He had another bin that was just about as full of TSA confiscated micra type leatherman tools.

I saw those. I meant to go back and look at all the micras that he had, but forgot. I plan on checking out his B&M store in the next couple of weeks, so hopefully he has them out for sale there.

John

And in amongst those auctions you can find old Case and Schrades and others.The amount of sak classics is staggering.

So, as I perused the Gun Show on Sat & Sun, I noticed one gentleman had a big bin of what seemed like an endless amount of used red Swiss Army Knives. I just had to ask him how he wound up with so many. He told me that they were knives that TSA confiscated. I did not follow up with how he wound up with them, but it sure looks like somebody is selling them! He had another bin that was just about as full of TSA confiscated micra type leatherman tools.

Glad I saw this thread! I had a little micra leatherman on my keychain that disappeared - looks like I can get a whole bag of em for the price I paid for one haha!

Well done Paul :) Gev sent me my Micra, I carry it everyday :)

See these airport-confiscated knives on sale all the time here too, also bought by the pound. Primarily SAKs and fake SAKs, multi-tools, and a few other pocket knives.

I had the sodbuster jr. that I picked out of the never ending giveaway taken this weekend at a theme park. I had taken it through the first day without problems and then forgot to stow it at the hotel for day two. They took it. Universal studios doesn’t see the same traffic as an airport but I wonder if they sell what they do take.

I don't know if you folks know this, but you can subscribe to the TSA email "TSA week in review". Every week or two, you get an email showing some of the things TSA confiscated over the last couple weeks.

They show guns, what airport they were confiscated, and if they were loaded and chambered. (The TSA now has a fleet of Ruger LCP's...) They also show knives confiscated. You can zoom in on the pics, etc. I always see a lot of auto Benchmades and Microtechs. Mostly throwing knives, ninja stars, and sword canes. I bet a lot of clones, hard to tell with the pictures they provide. Here's a link:

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/tags/week-review

They also show all the fake hand grenades, mortar tubes and other crazy things people try to take on airplanes. A fun read!!

Last edited:
I had the sodbuster jr. that I picked out of the never ending giveaway taken this weekend at a theme park. I had taken it through the first day without problems and then forgot to stow it at the hotel for day two. They took it. Universal studios doesn’t see the same traffic as an airport but I wonder if they sell what they do take.

Is that even legal?! :eek: Sorry you lost your knife :(

I don't know if you folks know this, but you can subscribe to the TSA email "TSA week in review". Every week or two, you get an email showing some of the things TSA confiscated over the last couple weeks.

They show guns, what airport they were confiscated, and if they were loaded and chambered. (The TSA now has a fleet of Ruger LCP's...) They also show knives confiscated. You can zoom in on the pics, etc. I always see a lot of auto Benchmades and Microtechs. Mostly throwing knives, ninja stars, and sword canes. I bet a lot of clones, hard to tell with the pictures they provide. Here's a link:

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/tags/week-review

They also show all the fake hand grenades, mortar tubes and other crazy things people try to take on airplanes. A fun read!!

That's pretty incredible! :eek: :thumbsup:

Is that even legal?! :eek: Sorry you lost your knife :(

That's pretty incredible! :eek: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the consolation, Jack! As far as I know it is legal. They had plenty of visible signage. I purposefully took one of my less valuable knives in case I lost it, but I hadn't counted on it being confiscated! To be fair, they offered to let me take it back to my vehicle, but we were parked quite a distance away, and I didn't want to take time away from the family's experience. Hopefully they won't trash it and someone will get a nice little knife for a very little money (or free!).

Is that even legal?!

Yes. They aren’t telling you you must give your knife to them. They are simply saying you cannot bring it into the park. They’re simply giving you options: take it back to your car or hotel room, forgo visiting the park, or surrender it to them. Nothing illegal about that. You’re still in control of selecting which option.

Thanks for the consolation, Jack! As far as I know it is legal. They had plenty of visible signage. I purposefully took one of my less valuable knives in case I lost it, but I hadn't counted on it being confiscated! To be fair, they offered to let me take it back to my vehicle, but we were parked quite a distance away, and I didn't want to take time away from the family's experience. Hopefully they won't trash it and someone will get a nice little knife for a very little money (or free!).

Yes. They aren’t telling you you must give your knife to them. They are simply saying you cannot bring it into the park. They’re simply giving you options: take it back to your car or hotel room, forgo visiting the park, or surrender it to them. Nothing illegal about that. You’re still in control of selecting which option.

Thanks for the explanation gents, I wondered if that was the case. Still a sad tale :( :thumbsup:

Thanks for the explanation gents, I wondered if that was the case. Still a sad tale :( :thumbsup:

Yes, live and learn, but more importantly--check pockets before going to a place where people are afraid of useful tools!

Back