• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

TSProf Technical Thread (Q & A, sharing etc.)

S.T.A.T.E.S.

TSProf sharpeners (www.statesllc.com)
I'm not sure how this will work, but let's try using this thread to share comments, questions and answers about the TSProf system. S.T.A.T.E.S., LLC is a U.S. dealer for TSProf systems and accessories. I regularly talk with Paul "Techman" at TSProf. He will probably visit this thread to help answer questions as well. [Systems are in stock and shipping the same day from us.]

Let the questions and sharing begin!

George

gift kit black k03.jpg

K03Rack&PinionSmall.jpg
People often ask what is the "lifting body" or the rack and pinion of the K03. Here is a picture that points to the rack and pinion mechanism of the K03. Important fact: You cannot retrofit/upgrade the K02 to the K03. If you want the "lifting body"/rack and pinion mechanism you must order the K03. Arrow points to rack and ellipse is around the pinion rotation knob. Hope the explanation helps.

View attachment 1105302
People often ask what is the "lifting body" or the rack and pinion of the K03. Here is a picture that points to the rack and pinion mechanism of the K03. Important fact: You cannot retrofit/upgrade the K02 to the K03. If you want the "lifting body"/rack and pinion mechanism you must order the K03. Arrow points to rack and ellipse is around the pinion rotation knob. Hope the explanation helps.
That is one Fine looking rig :cool::thumbsup:, makes my KME look like a child's toy. Any videos available on it? You have my curiosity peaked sir o_O.

That is one Fine looking rig :cool::thumbsup:, makes my KME look like a child's toy. Any videos available on it? You have my curiosity peaked sir o_O.
Just type "TSProf" in the YouTube search and you will find at least 20 videos showing various models, accessories and how to use them. If you decide want to buy one, I can ship it the same day. I have a promotion going on with free shipping in the continental US of Wranglerstar Kits.

Thanks for asking.
George

First post here... I am considering purchasing a TSProf and have a question on knives with thumb studs and clamp systems. Do they get in the way of sharpening as with the Edge Pro or is this a problem with most systems? I'm new to sharpening systems but noticed the thumb stud problem with a Edge Pro knock off I got for free. I know the stud can be removed on some knives but I'd rather not have to do that if it can be avoided. Thanks.

Good question. The answer is a matter of simple geometry. Place a straight edge between the top of the thumb stud and the knife edge. That determines the lowest angle achievable. I would say any sharpener with a stone longer (not wider) than 1/2 inches will have a problem. The geometry of the TSProf is close to that of the Edge Pro as far as distance from pivot to knife edge. The stones are exactly the same length.

Good question. The answer is a matter of simple geometry. Place a straight edge between the top of the thumb stud and the knife edge. That determines the lowest angle achievable. I would say any sharpener with a stone longer (not wider) than 1/2 inches will have a problem. The geometry of the TSProf is close to that of the Edge Pro as far as distance from pivot to knife edge. The stones are exactly the same length.
Thanks for the quick response. I kind of thought the same after I posted. No matter what system I choose besides a wheel the stud will be in the way on some knives. It's just something I'll have to learn to work around or take off if possible. I still like the design and build quality of the TSProf the best out of all I have seen.

Where can I get replacement stones for my K02 or K03 sharpener? I recommend ordering replacement SiC stones from Congress Tools here in the US. Order Moldmaster stones in 1 X 1/4 X 6 inch dimensions. They are roughly $4 each. They can be used unmounted by placing directly against the back of the abrasive holder. I recommend placing a layer of blue painter's tape over the steel back of the holder to protect it against scratching. If you want to put them on an aluminum backer, just order the backers for $3 each from www.statesllc.com Here is a photo showing the TSProf abrasive on the bottom and the Congress Tools, Moldmaster on the top.

upload_2019-5-6_13-35-46.png

Do you recommend any other stones, moldmaster only goes upto a certain grit. Great cheap prices at congresstools.
Yes. Edge Pro stones, all of them, work just fine in the TSProf system.

George

When will you have the latest tsprof model instock?
We should have the New K03 kits in stock toward the end of July or early August. Now is a great time to save almost $100 on the current models and I still have some.

George

I find the way TSProf deals with customers a bit insulting.

Putting the new K03 on sale (EU) with a 23 degree pinion and less then a month later introducing a new pinion (36 degree range).

Not to mention that any substantial questions or criticism seem to get ignored.

If i were to get some stones and aluminum blanks, how do i put them together? Epoxy? Glue? Which one would it be? Thanks in advance!

If i were to get some stones and aluminum blanks, how do i put them together? Epoxy? Glue? Which one would it be? Thanks in advance!
Sorry for the late reply. I've been on vacation. Although the stones can be used, bare in the abrasive holder, if you want to mount them to aluminum backers, simply spray Scotch 33 adhesive on the back of the stone and on the correct side of the aluminum backer. Wait about 30 secs and then press them together. They will instantly adhere, so be sure and align carefully before allowing them to touch.
Hope this helps.
George

What kind of steels are you going to be sharpening what's your hardest steel to sharpen that you own or are planning on getting in the future.
The Congress Silicon carbide stone's aren't bad for the money but they were fairly quick if you sharpen a lot and mine wore out faster then my Tsprof stones.

If you want really good stones google jendeindustries and look at the Sigma Power stones they sell,look at the Sigma Power Select 2 stones they are the faster cutting stones,I have their 6 10 and 13K stones and they great polishing stones,if you use diamonds first you won't get a true mirror polish that is 100% scratch free but it will be a nice polish though.

I would also look at getting some Venev stones if you have a lot of steels like M390 M4 S30V S35VN S110V,that's where diamonds are needed in the lower grit's and then it's not so important with the higher grit's.
I would get the Venev stones that are mounted on blanks myself I like the mounted format the best for whatever reason,you would be safe to get the 40 to 400 grit in the original bond and then get the 800 and 1200 in the OCB bond and don't touch the 2000 grit stone.

The problem with the 800 1200 and 2000 grit Venev stones in the original bond is people were not happy with the scratch pattern and they had problems with diamonds falling out as well,they fixed the 800 and 1200 grit stones and they are excellent stones to use,they are rated FEPA grit and if you want I can email you a grit conversion chart I have,I think a 2000 grit FEPA stone is the same as a 15k Japanese water stone.

Go to Gritomatic and look under brands and look for Venev and you'll see they have a stone that's more pale yellow or brown that's the 800 an 1200 grit stones in the OCB you want to look at in the their higher grit's.
I use Silicon Carbide powder to refresh my stones and I was stop at 2 grit's below the stones rating for the last grit of Silicon Carbide powder,the reason that is because if you use the same grit or even one size lower the Silicon Carbide can become lodged in stones because it's to close to the same grit and then rust.

If you are looking at the Naniwa Chosera stones they are not that great for cutting steels like the ones I mentioned and they tend to glaze over after 1 to 2 use's and then you need to use a Medium grit Rust Eraser found on ebay to de-glaze them so they will cut again,you can get the Rust Eraser on ebay it's a block of grey rubber with grit in it,the Chosera higher grit's are good for polishing but don't cut so well on steels with 4% or more Vanadium in them.

I think Edge Pro and Gritomatic and Jende might sell the blanks,I use 3M Super 77 spray and if you want to reuse the blank you just need to pry the stone off and then use some contact cement remover or lighter fluid to remove the glue,I know the 3M stuff is what Edge Pro and Jende use to mount stones and I don't know if you can remove the Scotch stuff I have never used it before.

I think Gritomatic has an Amazon store in the USA I'm in Canada so I can't confirm it,I know Konstantin the owner pretty well and he is a good stand up guy and is very helpful with his customers on helping them get the right thing's.

Last edited:
I got the ones at congress already, anyways for the price its good for now. I also got 3k, 5k, 8k chosera from the site you had recommended for the polishing. I have some blanks coming from statesllc, i do have the 3M 77, i got it after reading one of your posts but i had already asked.

I plan to sharpen all the knives i have which for the most part are likely to be crappy metals with the exception of kitchen knives. I have the edge pro but never developed a taste for it so i have the tsprof coming my way.

Im a little excited to get it and put a razor sharp edge on my knives, all of them.

Thank you for taking the time to explain and help wade, much appreciated. i will definitely look into these sites and stones further, although at the moment i think i might be ok lol but if this sharpening thing takes another route then i might need them sooner then later.

With the 3M 77 spray follow the directions on the can,I let it get tacky then press them together.

Also do mist coats don't try and use a bunch all at once,if the stone after sitting for good while and if the glue is still wet and slippery you have used to much and you need to back down the amount you used.
You may also want to see if you can find Contact Cement Remover I got some from Canadian Tire here in Canada,I use the contact cement remover to remove the glue when I want to remove the stone.

The best way to get the stone off is to use a butter knife from the dollar store and make a gap to start first at the end of the stone along the side and then just pour a bit in the gap and then let it sit and keep opening the gap with the butter knife and adding the Contact Cement remover.

You can use the none pressurized lighter fluid but it does not get the surface as clean the Contact Cement Remover works the best by far.

I got your message on my profile page,you need to have a paid membership to PM here and I don't right now.

Just email me at wadenorton2008@yahoo.ca and I will email you the grit conversion chart.

Back