Tsuka-maki wrapped handles

darrylburke

Banned
I'm looking at trying my first tanto and want to try wrapping the handle, in a traditional way..

I've seen a few makers who use some type of "clear coat" on the wrap.
does anyone know what it is?? I assume the wrap is soaked in it, then it's wrapped? or is it painted on after??

Yep, it's put on after you are done wrapping the handle. Some guys use superglue (my favorite), others use epoxie. Another one I like to use is just what you stated, clearcoat. I get it in a spray can and after the handle is wrapped I tape off everything I don't want clearcoated and start spraying the wrap making sure it soakes in.
Good luck!:)

Darryl, I use 2 different kinds of glue on my wrap. I end my wrap at the butt and use superglue to stop the wrap from unraveling. I use an absolute minimum. Maybe its the particular glue I use but I've found that if I put too much on, the fumes leave a whitish haze on the surrounding areas. To seal the wrap, I use a wood-hardening epoxy from Industrial Formulators called S1. It has the consistency of water. I apply about 10 coats of this with a throwaway paintbrush over the course of a day. The glue is so thin that it leaches right in to the handle, creating a solid block. Depending on the temperature of your shop, it can take a couple of days to cure. The results are worth it. If you can't find S1, go to a specialty woodworking store. They should sell something similar. I believe West System makes this sort of thing.

Hugh

Back