Off Topic Turpentine

I have search this forum on turpentine and resin topics and you seem to know best what properties they have. But have you ever heard or consumed 100% Pure Gum Spirits of Turpentine in small doses for healthy benefits? Apparently it was used back in a day as a cure for parasites and candida.

What do you think about it? Bonkers idea?

I have search this forum on turpentine and resin topics and you seem to know best what properties they have. But have you ever heard or consumed 100% Pure Gum Spirits of Turpentine in small doses for healthy benefits? Apparently it was used back in a day as a cure for parasites and candida.

What do you think about it? Bonkers idea?

Back in the day mercury was used to treat syphillis and other STIs, lead was used for cosmetics, and entrails were pulled from pigeons to tell the future. Tell me you're not going to do these things.

Please read this blog post:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/medicine-doesnt-come-from-the-hardware-store-dont-drink-turpentine/

Turpentine, even in its gum spirit form, is absolutely not safe and will not do anything good for you. If you have parasites, you need a specific biocide for that infestation (any horse owner will tell you they are not universal). If you have candidiasis (usually oral thrush or a vaginal yeast infection) you need an antifungal. Turpentine in any of its forms is neither of these. It's just a pine-resin-derived poison! (Though a very useful one :))

So yeah, using turpentine orally is BONKERS!

One more thing, about the use of the term "natural" to describe remedies. The following items are natural: Anthrax, hemlock, uranium, cholera, and asbestos. You see where I'm going with this?

Zieg

Last edited:
Back in the day mercury was used to treat syphillis and other STIs, lead was used for cosmetics, and entrails were pulled from pigeons to tell the future. Tell me you're not going to do these things.

Please read this blog post:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/medicine-doesnt-come-from-the-hardware-store-dont-drink-turpentine/

Turpentine, even in its gum spirit form, is absolutely not safe and will not do anything good for you. If you have parasites, you need a specific biocide for that infestation (any horse owner will tell you they are not universal). If you have candidiasis (usually oral thrush or a vaginal yeast infection) you need an antifungal. Turpentine in any of its forms is neither of these. It's just a pine-resin-derived poison! (Though a very useful one :))

So yeah, using turpentine orally is BONKERS!

Zieg

Nah dawg,

It works perfectly. You drink turpentine, which then kills you and voilà! Now the parasites have nothing to feed on and die off.

Parasites cured!

Nah dawg,

It works perfectly. You drink turpentine, which then kills you and voilà! Now the parasites have nothing to feed on and die off.

Parasites cured!
LOL!!! Holy cow, I get it now! Pass me that paint thinner, yo! And a match while you're at it.

Zieg

Very funny. Same could be said about paraffin but when refined it is used in medicine as a drug Liquid Paraffin.

I am talking about specific clean turpentine without any other additives (NOT FROM HARDWARE STORE). Beside you would not get this "100% Pure Gum Spirits of Turpentine" in hardware store anyways... I don't want to advertise the brand here but it is the one made in Georgia, USA. The reason I ask is that I came across people using 1 tsp of turpentine with cubes of sugar to kill off candida. In 2008 it was still possible to buy turpentine in a local pharmacy so couldn't be that bad I think.

Last edited:
Just because a thing has use in one area, doesn't mean it works in another. For example, you can take certain medications in a tablet, and certain ones can be use on your skin, but you can't usually use them interchangeably. Also, you can buy a lot of things in a pharmacy that can and do cause harm. Some are totally unregulated. For example many pharmacies do sell raw chemicals like potassium permaginate, and it can be used for some things, but it is very toxic if used wrong. Also in some cases there is no way to know you are getting a clean product, many "herbal" remedies have been found to be either impure, or simply a cheap filler.

As far as turpentine being toxic, its not the additives. Turpentine from trees is the tree's chemical defense system, its a natural toxic pesticide. So if you say had an ant infestation, it might work, but trees tend to be symbiotic with fungus, so I doubt a tree would have a system to kill it.

If the result of this discussion is that it's 50/50 whether it will cure you or kill you, I would just avoid it myself.

OFF TOPIC------Little boy sitting on a street with a bottle of liquid turning it from end to end and watching the bubbles rise up when a Preacher walks by and says, what you got there?
Turpentine Preacher....the most powerful liquid in the world.
Preacher says, no son, Holy Water is the most powerful liquid in the world, you can put 2 drops of Holy Water on a pregnant woman's stomach and she'll pass a baby boy.
Little boy said, poop, that ain't nothing, you can put 2 drops of turpentine on a cat's arse and he'll pass a motorcycle. :)

Very funny. Same could be said about paraffin but when refined it is used in medicine as a drug Liquid Paraffin.

I am talking about specific clean turpentine without any other additives (NOT FROM HARDWARE STORE). Beside you would not get this "100% Pure Gum Spirits of Turpentine" in hardware store anyways... I don't want to advertise the brand here but it is the one made in Georgia, USA. The reason I ask is that I came across people using 1 tsp of turpentine with cubes of sugar to kill off candida. In 2008 it was still possible to buy turpentine in a local pharmacy so couldn't be that bad I think.

If you don't have thrush or a yeast infection, you probably don't have a candida problem. If you aren't sure, go see an M.D. or a D.O.

If you really think, after reading the post I linked to, that turpentine is OK to ingest, then nothing I can say will convince you. You asked, I answered. I'm not gonna debate you.

I'll say one more thing: If "alternative medicine" like turpentine and so on worked, it would simply be called "medicine." It doesn't. It isn't.

Best of luck. Try not to die.

Zieg

I went to speak to ma local pharmacist. She is a very old lady and she remembers turpentine being sold but she said that it was never for ingestion rather for rubbing to eliminate aches etc.

So.... I am loaded with garlic now. I have tried garlic tea too. Not that bad :)

Thanks everyone! Have a great day!

I remember my grandad putting a shot of it in with his car wash soap to make his car shine and boy did it ever.

Back