TV show Knife or Death

not2sharp

Platinum Member
Link:
https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv...of-Famer-Bill-Goldberg-Premieres-417-20180327

This looks like an interesting new knife show on the History Channel. Unlike, Forged in Fire, contestants on this show are allowed a wide spectrum of knives and they compete on a course similar to what we see at Blade. I was wondering if Bill was going to supply one of his knives for this show. I would like to see how well one of Bill's parangs, or his Chinese chopper, would hold up on the course. They seem ideal for the challenge.

62ea7862-181e-421d-b0da-f26f20ec6d4d-jpeg.803715

n2s

Last edited:
I am curious to see what Bill would suggest for this game. There is no battoning going on and length provides leverage, so a short double edge sword would seem ideal. Something solid with a 14" blade, and axe like chopping edge on one side and a sharp scandi grind on the other. It should also have an armored piercing point, a hand and 1/2 grip, and weigh around 3 to 3-1/2 pounds. 5160 should be ideal. Getting the grip to work so that it is comfortable while held near the pommel for heavy chopping, while being able to invert it for a more close-in grip to use the finer cutting side would be the trick.

If Bill wants to make it, he can put me down for the first one. It is nice to talk about a large chopper that is not limited by the urge to batton.

Perhaps we can start with a classic US 1832, with a slightly heavier blade, and a lighter and longer handle; maybe even a subhilt for the finer cutting tasks.

1832-Ames-U-S-Foot-Artillery-Officers-Short-Sword_100947634_9287_33BFB129FC04DBBA.JPG

n2s

From the episodes I’ve seen, kukris and kopis types excel at the tasks given. Bad technique seems to stop folks at the chicken and fish. And folks are getting penalized during the bucket and box chops because they are a little too focused on the finish line instead of the task. Of course we get to see what’s up on tv. The first season competitors showed up with their knives and had no real idea what they’d face. I like the short sword concept especially because this seems to be a very open game as far as equipment goes. I’d think a 12-14inch competition style cutter would run the course very well too.

I agree Bill

The way the course is set up you need a blade that can chop as well as change direction quickly or at least get started quickly for the watermelon part.
You also have to factor in endurance as most of the contestants seem to be physically spent and this prevented them from cutting the fish correctly.

I think your Hoodlem 2 would be excellent or as you said a competition cutter

The reason that I suggested two edges, is that Jo (the lady competitor on the first show) mentioned on another thread that the buckets and the box are actually full of rocks (well good size pebbles). Add the ice chopping to that and you are likely to see edge damage.

n2s

Here is another of Bill's knives that might do some damage on the show. The blade is flat ground from 3/8" 5160.

n2s

bill-siegle-behemoth-jpg.908867

Here is another of Bill's knives that might do some damage on the show. The blade is flat ground from 3/8" 5160.

n2s

bill-siegle-behemoth-jpg.908867
What a monster

But I think it would be too heavy to complete the course with the speed and timing you would need
In 3/16” would work better for that application IMHO

Maybe with some cool choreography you could just swing it once and then use the follow through to cut the rest of the targets! I still remember grinding that beast!!!!!! Heavy and super fun!!!!

Back