Twin goptes

two weeks back I was chosen by these twin sisters, the Gopte twins. Beautiful work by Dan Bahadur. What caught my eye on these was the engravings and how well they matched with neem handles. When they arrived the first thing that struck me was how sleek the blade itself is.. very nice touch in the cho area where it slightly scoops back in. Generous sized handles too and a nice balanced feel in hand. The thing I was most surprised on was the thickness of the spines.. I have a 15" CAK and the spine on these Gopte knives is much thicker... pushing over 1/2"!! Love me a thick spine! I feel like these have been "sleepers" in the past DOTDs... compared to my CAK and KLVUKs these just have a touch more of elegance to them and make a really nice set. When I put the two together the handles start to glow and I suddenly start to levitate,, it's wild!

Anyways... great work as always. HI has never stopped amazing me with each round of new stuff, Auntie's dedication and everyone's friendly nature has really given me a place to go and share, drool, learn and educate.
I don't care what they say on the TV... people are great!

GOPTE PICS:

IMG_6811_zpseb6a3be5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6810_zps23e532fb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6813_zps22835d42.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6814_zps65061452.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6823_zps8edeb0f6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6821_zpse9c20fb3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6820_zpsdf501e56.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

** IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOPTE KNIFE YET.... you know what to do...

dmcintyrelee Very nice photos sharing, I see the Sun rise when they cross over

DMC - very nice set of Goptes there, you are right, they were sleepeers, and they are beautiful. You got a treasure there for sure.

Holy moly:eek: Theres some foxy twins right there! I do like Dhan's carvings. I would have never guessed the spines were that thick. I wonder if you crossed them like that making an almost full sun could you summon up some rolling tubes on the Gulf Coast? Get your arse back on the ground and lets try it. I think I see the light!

So, does anyone know what "Gopte" means? I also got a Dhan Bahadur Gopte knife from an early October DOTD, with blade markings almost identical to these, but it's spine is not 1/2", it's about 7/16" at the bolster and 3/8" where it bends. It's 15 3/4" long and 22 ounces - what are the specs on these two? But mine has what was described as a "siam wood" handle - it's a medium-dark brown and looks almost like walnut.

Great photos mate. Over 1/2 inch, wow. Looks like a match made in heaven. Jeez I thought HIKV was bad enough, now you're telling me I have to get duplicates of everything....

Well sir you got two hands don't cha? Sort of makes sense when you ponder it some.

Reckon if the left one don't gettcha then the right one will, kiss ka boom, kiss ka boom.

So, does anyone know what "Gopte" means? I also got a Dhan Bahadur Gopte knife from an early October DOTD, with blade markings almost identical to these, but it's spine is not 1/2", it's about 7/16" at the bolster and 3/8" where it bends. It's 15 3/4" long and 22 ounces - what are the specs on these two? But mine has what was described as a "siam wood" handle - it's a medium-dark brown and looks almost like walnut.

Gopte means Hunch back and although those are beautiful khukuris, they don't look a thing like a Gopte. I'll try to get a picture of an HI Gopte Uncle Bill had made for me in the early 2000's. They were very odd/unique looking khukuris that look nothing like any khuks around.

Back