Two more kwaiken

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
I think I’ve said this before, but I don’t really set out to make these. It’s a profile that I’m very comfortable with, and that comes naturally for me. The process of making them is somewhat cathartic, and allows me to mentally work through other projects that I’m struggling with. Unlike a lot of makers, I rarely have a complete vision of where I’m heading, and it’s not uncommon for me to hit a wall. I’ve been hitting lots of walls on the latest big project, which has become a ‘four kwaiken project’, so far… 🤣

The bones of these two are very similar, in that they’re both made in .140” Crucible CPM-3V, with skeletonized tangs, which are also tapered to .050” thick. The wood scales are held in place with a structural adhesive, as well as pinned in place with 1/16” hardened stainless steel pins. Both knives weigh in at around 4-1/4 ounces, and have 4” blades.

The first features some old, old, old cocobolo which I received from a highly respected local woodworker, who in turn had received it from his mentor. Best guess is closing in on 100 years ago when it was harvested. It’s still incredibly dense and oily, and polished up wonderfully. Rawhide colored lace gives it a unique contrast, I think.

DSC_6475-L.jpg

The second is identical in construction, but features some beautiful English Walnut, which I applied countless coats of gunstock oil to and left glossy, to give it a bit of pop under the burgundy lace.

DSC_6480-L.jpg

With any luck, these are the last I need to make before finishing the ‘big project’. Assuming it ever gets finished.🤦🏻‍♂️

Back