Two pretty neat little knives, BM 550, Whirlwind

Well I have purchased a bunch of knives the past couple of months. Two of the finest without doubt are the above mentioned knives. The Kersahw Whirlwind and the BM 550. Both knives have a great gadget factor to them being the axis lock for the 550 and the speed safe mechanism for the Kershaw. Both are are/were extremely sharp out of the box. They have stayed that way too. I think the 550 may just out cut by a small margin the Kershaw but that is a very subjective thing. Not using them for anything but mundane cutting tasks etc. The Kershaw is alot more fun though. Unreal fast and has a great lock up and snap to the blade. The liner lock does not budge on the Kershaw at all when performing the spine whack test out on the point. The 550 axis lock is dead nuts solid and extremely smooth. I think they would have a block buster on there hands if they used polished micarta, full size liners, and a 4" blade of the same style. Some people just aren't going to go for the plastic thing. Doesn't bother me at all really as it makes it very lite to carry in the pocket. People friendly too. I have 3 more in the mail so they should be coming shortly. A lg XO Lite, a large CS plain edge clip point, and an MOD Tempest. Anyways just some brief impressions about some of the smaller knives that really rock. Keep'em sharp

I agree with you. I've had two Whirlwinds, and they were both great knives. I rotate knives for the fun of it, and the Kershaw is one of my favorite EDC's. My first Whirlwind was sharpened at an extreme angle; very sharp, but after a week's cutting, it needed a touch up. My new one is about 20 degrees, sharp enough and the edge lasts longer. The liner lock never failed. It's light weight makes it a great knife for when I'm out bicycling. You will enjoy it!

I agree with your comments on the 550. Probably the decision to go with the plastic handles was a marketing one. I think BM just needed to come out with a good knife in the lower price range and made the choice to cut the costs with the handle material. It is, nevertheless, a very good quality tool at a great price.

Good luck with your new acquisitions.:)

I have to tell you guys the gadget factor for the Whirlwind is indeed very cool. A fella has a mini UDT auto at work. He made a really nice soft leather pocket pouch for it. Anyways he was showing the knife to me and I produced the Whirlwind. I have to say that the Whirlwind was just as fast as the MT. At least it appeared to me and him to be so. The big difference being one is button deployed and mine is not. He was going to go to the sporting goods store where I purchased the knife to pick the other up for himself. This knife has perfect grind lines, seems to be robust with 0 blade play, is unreal fast much faster than I can deploy any of my pocket clip blades via thumbstuds, and just a helluva lot of fun to play with. Oh yea scary sharp too. As good if not a little better than Spyderco sharp. Definetly as sharp as my 550 but being different blade designs I still think the 500 cuts a bit easier. I for one wonder how in fact it isn't classified as an auto. I know it isn't but boy oh boy it is indeed as close as your going to get and still be leagal. Keep'em sharp

Back