TWS and blackwater

tradewater

Geezerator
Just got back from a trip to the Carolinas and one of the things we did was a beautiful paddle on the Edisto River trail. The Edisto is the longest free
flowing blackwater river in the US and we floated a 23 mile section in coastal South Carolina. It was a long day but the scenery made it fly by.

The first mile or so was "folksy" with a little banjo music mixed in. :D After a mile or so, it turned to swamp on both sides and we had the place to ourselves.

8677967705_0262295c0c_b.jpg

Of course the TWS was on the hip.

8678940004_c4bd89bbf3_b.jpg

Some scenery. Like I said, it was beautiful.

8677844731_c7d31159f7_b.jpg

8678976922_a62bee31cf_b.jpg

8677872329_6b2ebe4fb1_b.jpg

8677841329_b02fc9bc12_b.jpg

8677819943_7faa50f1c9_b.jpg

8678932436_156ffb4a1f_b.jpg

Took out for lunch at a camp spot furnished by a local outfitter. They had platforms for setting up tents.

8678947180_de84e3bb31_b.jpg

8677834111_1608b0d8de_b.jpg

And "treehouses" you could stay in. Very nice.

8677828637_001b99b855_b.jpg

The swamp on both sides of the river really reminded me of home except for the live oaks and spanish moss.

8678984754_2ab7e6d4cb_b.jpg

Had a hell of a time and will definately be coming back to the area. Great folks too. The outfitter that shuttled us gave me some banana moonshine when we got to the take out. Big fun.

8677868637_abc9389f1a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Trade

Last edited:
Total night and day difference from our rivers man. Did you end up finding any gator heads to bury the M-18 in?

Lots of tossin' snakes, turtles and some birds I couldn't identify. Didn't see any gators. World record and very friendly mosquitoes when we got out for lunch. :D

I was ready to get a shot of the M 18 in a gator head though. (After I shot it six times with a .357 that is.)

Looks like good times. Interesting looking area.

Shoulda called! We've got a place on the edisto.

Glad y'all had a good time, great photos, thanks for sharing.

Oh yea, don't waste your time on the gators, save the .357 for the mosquitoes, they'll getcha! :D

This is fantastic! I LOVE when people post stuff like this on my sub forum. I love to kayak, and this trip looks awesome. The part that sucks is that I'm not there. (At least for me anyway) I like the pic of the cabin on stilts. As far as I'm concerned. Give me a couple days in that cabin with good company, banana moonshine and a good campfire, and I can think of no greater peace on earth. Good for you Trade, I am envious..........however, I have to ask, how did the TWS do? I'm totally in love with that knife. I'm interested in your opinion though. Do I scrap it or keep on keepin on?

Damn doc, we stayed in Hendersonville for a couple of days and would have given you a shout. PM sent.

This is fantastic! I LOVE when people post stuff like this on my sub forum. I love to kayak, and this trip looks awesome. The part that sucks is that I'm not there. (At least for me anyway) I like the pic of the cabin on stilts. As far as I'm concerned. Give me a couple days in that cabin with good company, banana moonshine and a good campfire, and I can think of no greater peace on earth. Good for you Trade, I am envious..........however, I have to ask, how did the TWS do? I'm totally in love with that knife. I'm interested in your opinion though. Do I scrap it or keep on keepin on?

I'd scrap it Todd. You can send me any extras you've got laying around. :D Seriously, this is THE knife that gets used for everything. Everything. Kay grabs it off my belt to slice up Spam and onions. It's a big, solid, kindling busting knife that thinks it's a necker. Balance is everything and this one is a natural extension of your hand and nimble as hell. I'm going to (hopefully) clean some fish with it this week and fully expect it to do fine at that. I love this thing.

Shoulda called! We've got a place on the edisto.

Glad y'all had a good time, great photos, thanks for sharing.

Oh yea, don't waste your time on the gators, save the .357 for the mosquitoes, they'll getcha! :D

Well, I can assure you we'll be back down there and I'll give you a call. We had a blast.

Back