Typical scene at BirGorkha -- Pix

Here's a shot of a couple of kamis and helpers doing their thing.

The guy nearest is Sanu. A helper who looks considerably older than Sanu whom I've never met is looking on, awaiting his next move.

Next is Sher -- green T-shirt and white hat. Looks like he's heating up some steel to pound.

Next is Bura (I think) and a helper. That's Bura's corner and nobody uses it except him.

Attachments

• men at work in birgorkha - 2002.jpg
    men at work in birgorkha - 2002.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 265
Thanks Bro.:)
The shop is quite a bit lighter than I imagined it would be even if it's a bright sunny day.
I can see why Bura claims the corner. It appears to be brighter there than any place else in the shop.
You know us old shop phartes we always try to root the kids outta the best spots, anyway we can.;) :p
It appears there's a charocoal storage bin made from brick about center?

birgorkhawork2002.jpg

The charcoal storage bins are new additions. They were keeping it in gunny sacks when I was there a couple of years ago.

The shop is not as dark as you might thing -- quite a few windows and a couple of doors. But night time the lights -- a couple of maybe 40 watt flourescents -- just don't cut it.

Speaking of codes -- there are none to comply with so it's sort of an every man for himself in all categories.

Thanks for the pic!

I still can't believe that the kamis can squat like that all day:eek: Makes my knees hurt just to look at. I guess its all what your body is used to. I never thought I'd be able to sit in sieza (sp?)like the japanese do, but after a few months it wasn't too bad. Of course if I do it for more than 5-10 min, my legs go completely dead and I can't walk for 5 min:D :D :eek:

It's an awesome way to sit. There's more mobility than sitting on a stool and it's a relatively well balanced position. Maybe I'll put my monitor on the floor.

Is that the whole shop floor at BirGhorka?

There's maybe ten feet behind the camera where some ginders and buffers set. And there's a little space to the right off camera.

It's not a big shop. When all 17 employees are working it is pretty crowded. Weather permitting the sarkis work outside, otherwise in their apartment. Silver men work in their apartment. Carving man works at home -- about 5 minute walk.

Only 7 people are living upstairs at present. Bura got an apartment nearby so he could escape his shouting wife during working hours.

Originally posted by SkagSig40
Very neat pix!! I wish I could go on a tour of the shop and see this first hand!!

We'll have to design one of those 'virtual tours', like you see on some websites (just joking :eek: - we don't have enough photos to do this [plus video would be nice for that sort of thing] and I'm not tryng to get myself into another website design ;) ).

B.

A picture like this makes the HI khukuri's that I own all that more priceless. Even the ones I don't own ;)

Ryan

Originally posted by Bill Martino
If you get bored, Beo, I may have enough pix for the virtual tour.

Sure - sometime. But they would be of the old/current shop, not the new one....

B>

Yeah, let's wait until we retreat to Darjeeling. The view will be much better. Maybe we can work Kachenjunga into the background.

Back