Uk Government attempting to ban online knife sales

Sorry if this is a topic which has been covered previously, but it is something I have just come across.

Having previously altered the law so that only people aged 18+ can buy knives (which I happen think is perfectly reasonable) they are attempting to BAN ALL ONLINE SALES OF KNIVES OVER 3 INCHES TO PRIVATE ADRESSES.

Here is the link to sign the petition to prevent this ridiculous ruling; https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/222776 Full details can also be found within this link. I urge people to sign this petition to protect our right to purchase and use TOOLS, and also the businesses’ of knife makers/sellers.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Yes, not a new topic.

And I bought my first knife with birthday money when I was around 10. That was perfectly reasonable in my mind.

Last edited:
Yes, not a new topic.

And I bought my first knife with birthday money when I was around 10. That was perfectly reasonable in my mind. (You accept the camel's nose under the tent.....)

Just hoping for more people to sign petition tbh. Re- age, guess it depends on the knife in question and intended use. I’ve had a SAK since I was about 8 and still haven’t killed anybody yet. Under 18s are currently able to purchase carry legal blades and I do tend to think that a limit on what under 18s can purchase is correct. However I feel that preventing adults from buying ANY knife over 3 inches (except blunt ones lol) is unfair on the consumers and the businesses.

I wish you the best of luck. But when you accept ridiculousness and then try to argue the extension is too ridiculous, you are bound to learn you already surrendered.

That was my point, and the point of the analogy I edited out of my post above.

But truly, good luck.

Man, it's that bad in the UK? The last knife I ordered online was a BM 940(love it, by the way) and before that, was a Ka-bar big brother(I'm only planning to use it in the woods, when camping, hunting, etc). And the only time either of those will cut something alive is when I nick myself while I'm sharpening them

Yes, there has been a particularly high murder rate this year, especially in London, and lots of those with knives. This has led the government to find an amazing way of ‘solving’ the problem. I’m willing to bet that none or very few of the knives used in crimes were quality pieces, bought online by the perpetrators, and were most likely some cheap crap from the kitchen. Our government just has to be seen to be doing something and goes about it in completely the wrong way, punishing honest people.

I only own a few ‘proper’ knives and have had to purchase them all online as there isn’t a single shop I can walk into within 100 miles that even stocks brands like Ka-Bar or Esee. I’ve had to import from the US , Europe and Japan. I could potentially be facing a life of collecting Bear Grylls products :eek: , THAT is the magnitude of the situation we are in over here.

Hah! Is the UK government even aware how many sharp, concealable objects people make and use in prisons? Where they have very limited access to low quality materials. People will ALWAYS find a way to kill other people. It's an ugly fact. All we can do is attempt to address the underlying reasons why an individual might commit such an act. Restricting access to tools won't even put a dent in the problem
Yes, there has been a particularly high murder rate this year, especially in London, and lots of those with knives. This has led the government to find an amazing way of ‘solving’ the problem. I’m willing to bet that none or very few of the knives used in crimes were quality pieces, bought online by the perpetrators, and were most likely some cheap crap from the kitchen. Our government just has to be seen to be doing something and goes about it in completely the wrong way, punishing honest people.

I only own a few ‘proper’ knives and have had to purchase them all online as there isn’t a single shop I can walk into within 100 miles that even stocks brands like Ka-Bar or Esee. I’ve had to import from the US , Europe and Japan. I could potentially be facing a life of collecting Bear Grylls products :eek: , THAT is the magnitude of the situation we are in over here.

Hah! Is the UK government even aware how many sharp, concealable objects people make and use in prisons? Where they have very limited access to low quality materials. People will ALWAYS find a way to kill other people. It's an ugly fact. All we can do is attempt to address the underlying reasons why an individual might commit such an act. Restricting access to tools won't even put a dent in the problem

Agreed. It is impossible and unreasonable to attempt to prevent humans from acquiring pointy things. Our government just wants to sanitise the country and make us fear everything. I hope any Brits who are aware of this petition will sign, so that we can put an end to ridiculous laws such as this proposal. We won’t be allowed to leave our beds soon, for fear of injury. On an unrelated note, I hope animals such as wolves and bears can be successfully reintroduced to Britain. My guess is there is absolutely zero chance, in case somebody should see one and instantly drop dead. This country!:mad:

Back