Ulster Barlows and the Russell Barlow.Do you have an Ulster 12OT?

G'day, lrv mentioned the Ulster 10OT and the Ulster 12OT. I have more than enough of the Ulster 10OT which was the Barlow in the Prince Albert offer however I have not got an Ulster 12OT....have you??
I put with the rather special Russell Barlow Commemorative 100year 1875 - 1975 and this is also the very first with Serial #00001. I personally love the color of the bone scales on the Russell. Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P1010001_04.jpg
    P1010001_04.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P1010004_04.jpg
    P1010004_04.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P1010002_04.jpg
    P1010002_04.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 85
  • P1010005_04.jpg
    P1010005_04.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010006_03.jpg
    P1010006_03.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 85
No 12OT here. I believe it is the same as a 10OT with a spear blade. Correct? That 10OT card is great. Not for sure but is the Russell delrin, similar to the Schrade 206, the Kentucky Tennessee Whittler series, and the Schrade Walden 896K. Made to look like bone?

8041_f-1.jpg

896K_b-1.jpg

no 12OT her either, I do have a Schrade made Russell Barlow, mine has Delrin handles, maybe there was a special run of knives with bone handles. Not sure!

Large picture although you can see the handles close up!

Russell

dsc0011di7.jpg

Interesting. The Kentucky and Tennessee Whittlers come in the same felt pouch as the Russell Barlow. Must have been released in the same time frame.

I would say you would be right there thawk! I had thought that the Whittlers you show above, were from a period where Schrade stopped making the sabre ground main blade and moved forward with the flat blades on the 804/8041 pattern. This would make the
early to mid 70's about right.

Russell

...just joshin ya' bout the bone.!...to see who was paying attention...you're both right it is Delrin....same as the Whittlers.....Sidecutter's right tooo..I am a sadistic prick.....Hoo Roo

Below is a copy of the Ulster Barlows from the 1960 Ulster catalog.
The #10 with a clip blade, #11 with a spear blade and the #12 with a sheepfoot blade.

The 10OT Barlow is consistent with the Clip blade in the #10 Ulster Barlow.
I would think that a 12OT Barlow would be consistent with the #12 Ulster Barlow and have a sheepfoot blade.

I do have a note, as I recall it came from some discussion on the early model numbers.
I found the post where it is listed, by dlk, 8/31/05.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362762&highlight=12ot+barlow

The best info I have found so far on the 12OT Barlow is in this thread.
Note the post by Larry (lrv). This documents the source of our information on the 12OT Barlow.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386890&highlight=12ot+barlow

More research from Larry (lrv) on Old Timers and a mention of the 12OT Barlow:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439424&highlight=12ot+barlow

After spending 2 or 3 hours buried deep in the archives, all I have found out is that the little bit we know about the 12OT Barlow, seems to come from Debbie Chase, a former Schrade employee.
It seems that the 12OT Barlow was made for the European market c. 1964-1965.
That seems to be all the info I can dig out of the archives on the matter.
Perhaps Larry (lrv) has learned something else about the 12OT Barlow since his post 3 1/2 years ago.

Dale

Well,
It was rumor only that the Ulster 12OT was made for Europe which I believe Robert Clemente started because we couldn't find any! :) I have no proof nor have I read anywhere that it was made for Europe.

I do not have nor have I ever seen one and it's on my very short list which was reduced this year after obtaining a copy of the 50OT.

I have a clear picture of the flyer on the web page.
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ULSTER/pages/UK-64.htm
which also shows Larry's card.
If you click on the next page of the web display you will see the other standard Ulster Barlow's as well as the 50 & 58OT's

I'll check the production numbers if anyone is interested.

12OT 508 -catalog #
Year Doz Total
1963 372 4,464
1964 1601 19,212
1965 1092 13,104
1966 34 408
1967 0
total 37,188
There has to be a few out there!

Last edited:
Bumping up this Ulster Barlow thread giving all the answers to Protourist regarding dates etc....Hoo Roo

Thank you. I didn't find this in my search.:eek:

Bumping up these photos of the Ulster 10OT Barlows unopened mint in original retail box....these knives were manufactured/ issued prior to any of the later Prince Albert offer knives..
The Ulster 10OT is not automatically a Prince Albert offer knife...they were popular in their own right some years before the Prince Albert offer which just happened to include this pattern in their 3 knife offer.
Submitted to further interest the Schrade Family of knives collectors...Hoo Roo

Last edited:
...photos submitted to further interest new chums to Schrade Collecting on this Forum...Hoo Roo

Larry Vickery has one I believe....waiting for him to chime in....I previously had the 'Blue Grass' version 12OT made by Schrade.....Hoo Roo

I do have a 12OT. Found it a couple years ago. Not in the best of shapes but its holding a place in the collection till I find a better one.
I had posted a pict of it at the time. I'll see if I can dig it up again.

Attachments

• 12OT-Us.jpg
    12OT-Us.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 12OT-Ulster-mia.jpg
    12OT-Ulster-mia.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Good evening,

This thread sent me to my collection - I have an Ulster Barlow "12"- Sheepsfoot and light color delrin. Unlike my 10ot it has half-stop.
I have forgotten how to post pics so if someone wants a pic and tells me how I'll try to get a pic of it up. Big fan of Schrade Barlows and thank you gents for your pics!!

Hi, Jack! I dasn't have any of those Delrins but I do have some old-school Schrade barlows. Pic up for limited time.

As Barlows are being discussed...this is a nice Barlow thread re-birthed.....Hoo Roo

Back