Ulster BSA Camp Knife

I just added a vintage Boy Scout knife to my collection, marked 'Ulster' on the blade with "Official Knife Boy Scouts of America" printed on the blade.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about this knife? Particularly, what type of steel, and if it's possible to replace the shackle pins?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure this one is from the 1970's and had stainless blades. I can't help you with the shackle info though.

Dunno, might be a carbon steel blade, looks like a bit of rust? As for the shackle pins, from the looks of it, you would have to take the knife apart to replace them, since it is not a through pin. If the shackle is loose, you might be able to peen them a little to tighten the shackle up.
Nice score, at any rate. Congrats on a great addition to the collection.

I had one from the '70's. Can't comment on the exact steel, but, it was carbon. Sharpened up easily. I had a different model. Sorry, can't help with any parts or real info. I had the knife since I was 7, 41 years ago.

I wouldn't want to take that knife apart to fix the bail. I'm pretty sure that it's swinden key construction.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the scout knife site doesn't state what kind of steel the blades are. I'm going to assume they are carbon steel, but the blade has a gloss to it which makes me think it could be stainless. The rust stains could be caused by the knife's age and maybe storage in moisture.

It is carbon, and probably 1095. I have two identical.....one I bought new in '87 at a boy scout office in Aberdeen, Md. It has developed bluish patina as time goes by. I wipe it down with an oil now and again. The other was given me by a neighbor and it is fairly rusty but serviceable. Ulster did make one with brown sawcut derlin ala Old Timer that had stainless blades. Those are fairly rare these days.

I'm sticking by my stainless claim. From what I remember, most of the Scout knives that had the blade etching were stainless. And just because it's stainless doesn't mean it won't get some surface rust. It's all dependent on the grade of stainless steel. Some are more resistant than others.

Back