Photos Ultimate Bushcraft Leather Axe Sheath and Modular Supply Pouch Sling

Although the original post is in the Axe Forum it occurres to me that maybe it belongs here and I should cross post it to this section. Hope that’s ok.

This winter I have been working on a project which is the culmination of a lot of work and planning. And in retrospect I should have done a build thread about the project as I was working on it but I guess I wanted a surprise big reveal at the end and if there is interest I can add some of the build photos to this thread. I am still making a couple things for it but my original vision has basically come to fruition.

The concept I had was to make what would be the ultimate bushcraft axe sheath and modular supply pouch sling, kinda like a leather MOLLE or pouch attachment system.

I wanted to strike the right balance of being over-the-top fancy and still keeping with the minimalist philosophy of bushcraft.

It’s difficult to do both “ultimate” and “minimalist”. LoL. But the end result functions as planned, it’s rugged, and is remarkably close to my visualization, and initial sketches.

4op4T7Z.jpg

v20fRg8.jpg

The axe is a Norlund Saddle Cruiser that I polished and carved the handle out of Shagbark Hickory. I flame treated and oiled it with natural linseed before doing the wrap and lanyard. (Both are for extra paracord storage and the lanyard bead is a ferro rod.)

H8xckoG.jpg

6-FEA87-C6-D1-A2-43-AD-AFFB-A489-B719229-A.jpg

199-E46-BB-68-D2-4095-A0-AD-39296-EB184-C6.jpg

The sheath is formed leather and features a tin with a primitive fire starting kit. Including a striking ring, fat wood, char cloth, twine, and flint/chert arrowheads. (I like carrying flint arrowheads for striking. They are already sharp, sparking well, you can use the backside first sparing the tip, and the double-function of having extra arrowheads with you is too cool!)
It has 1” d-rings for the straps and two 3/4” utility d-rings, one of which can be used for the belt retainer. It’s double stitched, reinforced with rivets and has line 24 snaps.

RjNcisC.jpg

The shoulder strap has holes punched 1” on center for use with both the Conway Buckle and button studs. Being able to place button studs or Chicago screws anywhere allows you to easily remove and reposition the pouches and accessories, adding things as needed.

RVdj3fC.jpg

All the accessories are formed veg tanned leather with two-tone dark brown with black dye and edge paint, natural color thread, and the buttons are all hand polished stainless steel line 20 snaps.

There are a lot of them:

R5esU3B.jpg

3zl6UWH.jpg

The Mattocks is a NOS vintage Mann RapiDigger 15”. I am working up some optional straps for lashing the handle to it, if desired, but I figure someone might just want to carve out a tapered stick themselves.

Pkz8ZXw.jpg

The neck knife if made from a chisel and the curved handle also doubles as a flint striker.

PNXHVE9.jpg

There is a 3” sharpening stone pouch.

1ZbF1jv.jpg

The fishing tackle kit consist of two small tins.
I cut up some corks for floats and whittled a groove around the outside to use as a spool for line and to hold hooks.
I also put a small sampling of supplies like weights, spinners and salmon beads in there but it is not yet filled or complete. In actuality, I’d probably use one for tackle and one for bait.

NqgimOx.jpg

A square pouch for survival/first aid tin that is significantly larger than an Altoids tin. I was able to cram a mess of stuff into it including:
TegaDerm, Mepitel One (like TegaDerm but a breathable membrane that is meant to be left on until it disintegrates), Steri-Strips, Clotting powder, Gause pads, Tape, Mole Skin, Sunscreen, Aspirin, Antibiotic, burn, bug, and After Bite ointments, Band-Aids, Safety pins, Storm matches (striker on back of tin), Emergency Blanket, (I still think I can get some more stuff like h2o tabs in there but the whistle didn’t fit so you’ll have to yell ;)

NNRSdp0.jpg

The round tin was made with less of a specific purpose.
It could be an expanded fire kit with fat wood kindling, magnesium and a magnifying glass or for some emergency rations. I was able to smash two of these protein bars into it.

G31ge1T.jpg

The belt stay or loop with retaining strap (I have no idea what to call it) also has extra paracord in a quick deploy wrap.

CBB9-C9-C0-028-A-4957-A8-D7-0-DFF2-A1-A9725.jpg

There are several accessory “tabs” that just attach to one button stud like the Life Straw/water filter straw, the compass (I’ll often hide a tortoise stamp somewhere in my leatherwork to commemorate the unfortunate and untimely demise of my sons tortoise.), and some miscellaneous D rings for things like the metal cup, carabiners, or a water bottle. Both in single stud brown and black as well as a heavy duty double stud one with a retaining ring.

8chOavh.jpg

That’s about it, my concept of the “ultimate-minimalist” thing. I’m still playing with different configurations and I’m already working on some additional accessories for it like a double-stud life straw holder, better utility straps that will attach to button studs, a torch holder that can mount forward facing on top of the shoulder pad!

ZWY9uhA.jpg

nyT2AjG.jpg

If you made it this far, thanks for your time!

ijfKhxb.jpg

Wow !!!! Nice work :thumbsup: That came out great. Now that’s a project and then some. Thanks for sharing :)

Very nice, when first glancing at the setup I was beginning to wonder what or how the other pouches were employed but certainly all comes together very nicely and does appear you found that balance.

I am amazed and very much impressed. Splendid concept, exceptional styling, and just plain beautifully finished work. If the participants could have something like that on the TV show "Naked and Afraid", they might be naked, but they damned sure shouldn't be afraid. Great job!!!

Paul

I am amazed and very much impressed. Splendid concept, exceptional styling, and just plain beautifully finished work. If the participants could have something like that on the TV show "Naked and Afraid", they might be naked, but they damned sure shouldn't be afraid. Great job!!!

Paul

LoL. That’s really cool! I’m just a rookie with tons to learn (despite what I tell my wife) but I really do appreciate the accolades!

Back