Is the original green scale ugly?

• Yes

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • A thousand times yes

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • No, and you're crazy for saying so

Votes: 30 36.6%

• Total voters
Modded 0640s? Guess I can toss my favorite knife in the ring. All mods done by Josh at REK, except the wave opener which I designed myself, did some prototyping with a friend's 3D printer, then sent the files out for 3D metal printing.

Denim micarta scales, blackwashed handle and blade, timascus clip, "rocky" grind pattern on scales and blade, and a slightly thinned out blade grind which also removed all marking. Been carrying this as a hard use work knife for 2 years, love it to pieces.

RdUowAu.jpg

XAGAH2L.jpg

Links to gifs of opening and closing with the thumbstud replacement I designed, from before the mods when I was still prototyping in plastic.

That's awesome!! Very cool.. Eventually I'll get my blade regrind n black washed.. Best knife ZT has made in years. Thanks for sharing it..

fBMsITp.jpg

Krein regrind, SDK natural micarta scales, lynch deep carry clip and Gray precision oversized thumb disk. The only thing I have left to do is replace the hardware with some Ti pieces. I feel like the plastic barrel spacers are a bit cheesy for such a nice knife.

Came out great!! Such a great all around edc, once you truly make it yours and add on the bling!!!!!!
Thanx for sharing over here!! Not enough traffic on this page!!! IMHO that is.. I'm sure there are.many more 640's redone out there..

So some time next month this will be heading out to Chip for a regrind and blackwash!!!IMG_20200128_134833.jpg

I recall seeing a 640 modded to work as a front-flipper -- is there a modder who could do that?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask (if not please let me know where I should post) but do folks have any suggestions on who to reach out to about regrinding services for my 640? This would be my first regrind (as I continue to get pulled farther into this black hole of a hobby), and it seems that all of the "names" I'm familiar with have moved or are otherwise no longer taking orders...

Easiest way to mod it into a front-flipper would be hand-filling some texture/gimping on the exposed rear tang, shouldn't be too tough with a diamond triangle file. I think most of the major regrinders are backlogged or taking a break, you could do an open call on the service forum here though if you want.

I am able to front flip mine the way it is from the factory. I couldn’t when I first got it but over time it has gotten smoother. As stated above if you add a little texture in the exposed tang it will make it much easier and consistent.

New Factory Special and it looks great! Just ordered mine, will post again when it arrives. Pretty sure the clip is the same as the original, so still plan on getting a replacement. A ZT 0308BLKTS clip is perfect for this model, you can fill out a parts request form for it. But the black/white carbon looks much better than the green, and the BW finish on the scales/blade reminds me of my full black cerakote version from REC.

I’ve known I needed one of these for a while now. But never knew I really needed one as bad as I do. Now I’ll have to find something a little fancier, I agree the green isn’t necessarily my flavor either. Thank you for yet again enabling me, folks ;)

The clip on the factory special is not titanium, it's steel painted black, so the same issues apply but should be easier to bend. Oddly enough the thumbdisk and screw are still silver, the only things on the knife that aren't black. Scales look great though! Modding recap: You can get a full set of ti hardware/disk/standoffs from xxxadrenalinxxx on Ebay, you can get ti hardware from BladesWeLove on Ebay but it won't have a thumbdisk screw, you can get fancy thumbdisks from Gray Precision but make sure you use their link for the 0640 not the standard Emerson disks (they won't fit), any Benchmade pattern clip will work so all your standard clip makers like MXGGear are good to go, you can get scales from SharpDressedKnives or G10.lt (that's a website, note that it's international). Happy modding everyone!

Those are GORGEOUS! Love the marbled cf🤩 I’ve been looking at getting a 0640 for a while but have heard that it’s sharp and uncomfortable in the handle? As users what are your thoughts on the handle?

Those are GORGEOUS! Love the marbled cf🤩 I’ve been looking at getting a 0640 for a while but have heard that it’s sharp and uncomfortable in the handle? As users what are your thoughts on the handle?

I don't find the handle like that at all, however everyone is different with different hands.....
Personally, I think k this is the best ZT since the 300 series & the 560 series!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_134833.jpg
    IMG_20200128_134833.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 3
Some of you may have already seen these in the "Kershaw/ZT Picture Thread!!! Let's See Em'!"

They all have Gray Precision Monster Thumb Disks, two of them have BGM Knives regrinds, and three of them have custom scales by Suingab.
I prefer to use the MXG Gear deep carry clips for Benchmade knives, #202081, as they do not cause a hotspot on my hand during use.

The 0640 is definitely my favorite, of the ZT knives I own.

I have Suingab custom scales on order for the 0640WBW, above, and will post updated pics here, when they make it to me.

Last edited:
Some of you may have already seen these in the "Kershaw/ZT Picture Thread!!! Let's See Em'!"

They all have Gray Precision Monster Thumb Disks, two of them have BGM Knives regrinds, and three of them have custom scales by Suingab.
I prefer to use the MXG Gear deep carry clips for Benchmade knives, #202081, as they do not cause a hotspot on my hand during use.

The 0640 is definitely my favorite, of the ZT knives I own.

I have Suingab custom scales on order for the 0640WBW, above, and will post updated pics here, when they make it to me.

Very sweet..... Luv my 640!!!!!

Back