Ultralight backpacks?

So, aside from the stuff carried by REI, are there any other good manufacturers of ultralight backpacks? I'm talking really, really light packs. For both day hikes and multi-day trips.

I have a Granite Gear alpine vapor... it's a vapor trail made from slightly heavier material.

a couple of thoughts...
1. get something that's durable & comfortable enough that you'll actually use it without worrying about it/fussing with it all the time

2. the lidless design of the vapor packs seems like a good idea, but it's a pain if you have to get in and out of your pack very often

Kifaru Ultralights
KUpack_homepage.jpg

I'd also Golite- they make several packs (frameless) that are pretty light, but still full featured

they used to make a very ul pack the Ion ~ 10 oz, it's what I use these days when I go really light

four day trip pic'd here :)

benefitsofgoinglight.jpg

the very lightest packs that I'm aware of are the cuben ones from zpacks

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml

So, aside from the stuff carried by REI, are there any other good manufacturers of ultralight backpacks? I'm talking really, really light packs. For both day hikes and multi-day trips.

I have been U.L. backpacking for about 22 years. Without a doubt the Osprey brand is the best I have ever used. 3500 CI and weighs only 2 LB.

If you go frameless...... you can cut down the weight even more. I'm not a big fan of them but I did use a GoLite pack when I climbed Mt Ranier. It's a PITA to load, but once you have it..... they are about as light as you will find. Good luck.

Looks like steig has got you covered.

Be careful of packs be call "ultralight" look at how much they actually weigh, and compare them to each other.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the ultralight packs don't have frames, and are intended for you to use your zlight pad as a "frame". Lastly, be sure to look at the recomended max load carrying ratings, if you get close you the max amount of weight, they get very uncomfortable.

Keep in mind that ultralight packs only work if the rest of your gear is also ultralight. Ultralight packs aren't meant for 3 lb sleeping bags and 7 lb tents.

^ that's a good point, your pack should be the last place where you save significant weight and your close to your last purchase

a 10 oz pack and 30 lbs of gear isn't going to work to well :)

I see too many folks purchase a pack and then decide how they are going to fill it- get the appropriate gear for your needs and then purchase the appropriate pack based on volume, weight and any other special needs you might have

Check out Gregory packs. Not sure if they have "ultralight" packs, but they are fantastic and don't weigh much at all.

Kifaru definitely makes nice ultralight packs.

With super light comes super expense. The material commonly used for ultralight packs is Spectra. Spectra is both light and insanely tough/strong unlike cuben fiber. One of the best pack manufacturers on earth is McHale in Seattle. They can build you a super light pack to your own spec. Cilo gear is another company that makes super light spectra packs. Spectra is naturally white, McHale can custom die the fabric. If Spectra is too expensive, McHale can use other lightweight fabrics to reduce cost.

Back